• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That doesn’t surprise me, our deer might be tougher!:)
I have a couple custom knives by Michael Cox that are nicely made. image.jpg image.jpg
This one I’ve carried some. Used it last year to dress an archery buck I was lucky enough to harvest. It did fine but I still missed my old Arapaho.
image.jpg image.jpg

B l o o

Sako's in the field. New Mexico Muley, Sako Fiberclass 7MM Mag, Brooks Range Alaska Dall Sheep Sako Fiberclass 7MM Mag & Iliamna, Alaska, Moose, Sako Fiberclass .338 Win Mag.
Reliable rifles in the field and all one shot exercise. Circa long time ago & about 40 lbs lighter. No smile in the dall photo as I started and finished in hip waders but ended up climbing lots of loose shale with several blisters to show for it having to cross a valley with deep water in between. Next day in camp while the guide was asleep and I was in my socks walking gingerly while making coffee in the morning sako Fiberclass Moose.jpg sako NM MD.jpg sako fiberclass Dall Sheep.jpg sako caribou wolf.jpg , 3 caribou ran by at 10-20 yards being chased by a wolf. I grabbed my rifle and shot the better caribou and then the wolf while in my socks. Photo after we rubbed velvet off and used plenty of Moleskin on the blisters to get my boots on. Nothing better than sometimes being lucky with a Sako 7MM mag nearby. It was a pretty good caribou too.
True Sako hunt stories.

Very , very nice! Spaher , you are truly blessed to have so many amazing hunts and adventures! All fantastic , matured to prime , trophies!
The Dall Sheep , was he 7 years or 8? Not sure bout the count.
Magnificent animals!
Nothing is worse than foot problems in the field. I change socks often, 2-3 times a day if the conditions call for it. Hunting in and out of deep water can really complicate matters quickly, especially when the intensity and necessity to move across mountain sides for a shot. Back when I was young and dummer I’d hunt in whatever. Boots, duck boots, tennis shoes…3 pair of socks . I mistreated my poor feet for years. I found Danner boots about 10 years ago, my feet have been much happier!

Bloo

Douglastwo, agreed and as a cynical friend once said, "I never ask God to give me anything, but its okay if he leaves it pretty close by"....LOL

A Sako safari.jpg ttached photo of Sako Safari's fortunate to have found, .375 H&H Mag, .300 WM, 338 WM and other two are barreled actions I came across decades ago in .458 Win Mag on a wholesaler catalog out of Pennsylvania for $200 bucks apiece. The .458's barreled actions were put in stocks of Arizona mesquite, 1 with a swivel barrel band and 1 not. I really like the Safari's which I have hunted with and thought all I needed was a .416 Rem or Rigby but was recently informed by one of our members that Safari's were also available in 9.3X62. So as I think I am done, the seemingly endless search goes on.
Old Hippie, my whole life I have dreamt of hunting and still have the receipt for my first rifle I bought at age 12, a used .22 lr, and reading Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, etc while shining shoes at the neighborhood barber shop (& old timers let me see a few other types) caused me to dream of hunting in Alaska, the Western US and promised myself I'd do it some day. So while my contemporaries vacationed to the beach and the like I hunted every chance I could get. I believe I got the better deal and still hunt as much as I can, although being and enjoying the outdoors with coffee in the morning with a pair of binoculars is more than enough satisfaction.

...... Back when I was young and dummer I’d hunt in whatever. Boots, duck boots, tennis shoes…3 pair of socks . I mistreated my poor feet for years. I found Danner boots about 10 years ago, my feet have been much happier!..Bloo

Bloo, I'm a little ahead of you at discovering boots. Like you, I hunted in Levi's and tennis shoes and a sorry jacket (NOT RAIN PROOF) until 1975 when Dad and I were drawn to hunt elk in Grand Teton National Park. That was back in the good old days when a draw permit meant you got to hunt bull or cow, by yourself without someone telling you how to hunt, what to shoot and watching every move you made....and the permits were good for 20 to 30 or more days. So Dad and I went and bought our first quality hunting boots and some good hunting clothes. We set October and November aside to hunt deer and elk in the Jackson Hole area. We spent 17 days hunting in October and I got a fantastic buck and Dad got a nice bull. We were going home for about 10 days, then come back to hunt the National Park when work demanded we stay home. Oh well, I needed some luck that didn't come. But now I know that it did!!!

Teton Hunting Permit.jpg

D2..it is fantastic to see that you have kept those trinkets of your times afield. Somewhere I have similar paperwork from our WV state antlerless deer hunting program. Back then it was the only way you could harvest doe, by lottery. I drew 2 tags the first year! My oldest son and I went out to fill them. To me , it was all about him getting to harvest his first deer. It was cold , snow covered and wet. In time we found some deer feeding out of the wood line about 60 yards from our location. I talked to him quietly, coaching him along the shot process. He had shot his rifle on paper and was a very good shot. “Just hold right on her shoulder and squeeze “ ….. “don’t be nervous, just breathe and wait for the shot”………”go ahead and shoot when your ready”….
No shot came, the does fed back onto the woods and were gone. I was rather selfishly upset with him for not taking the opportunity. My son said he couldn’t get a good rest and didn’t want to place a bad shot. I frowned about it. I didn’t know for quite some time that he simply did not want to kill the animal. He just couldn’t bring himself to end it’s life. Later on in life, he explained it to me. I felt so bad, so wrong, for pressuring him the way I did as a child of 10 years young. But, in the same instance I found a greater respect for my son , and his ethics. I learned from him as he learned from me, to respect the hearts and minds of both hunters and non-hunters alike. I have 2 sons. The younger loves hunting just as I do. We are still hunting partners to this day. The elder son goes along sometimes as a spectator and drag hand, and we still have a wonderful time in the woods together!

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
D2..it is fantastic to see that you have kept those trinkets of your times afield. Somewhere I have similar paperwork from our WV state antlerless deer hunting program. Back then it was the only way you could harvest doe, by lottery. I drew 2 tags the first year! My oldest son and I went out to fill them. To me , it was all about him getting to harvest his first deer. It was cold , snow covered and wet. In time we found some deer feeding out of the wood line about 60 yards from our location. I talked to him quietly, coaching him along the shot process. He had shot his rifle on paper and was a very good shot. “Just hold right on her shoulder and squeeze “ ….. “don’t be nervous, just breathe and wait for the shot”………”go ahead and shoot when your ready”….
No shot came, the does fed back onto the woods and we’re gone. I was rather selfishly upset with him for not taking the opportunity. My son said he couldn’t get a good rest and didn’t want to place a bad shot. I frowned about it. I didn’t know for quite some time that he simply did not want to kill the animal. He just couldn’t bring himself to end it’s life. Later on in life, he explained it to me. I felt so bad, so wrong, for pressuring him the way I did as a child of 10 years young. But, in the same instance I found a greater respect for my son , and his ethics. I learned from him as he learned from me, to respect the hearts and minds of both hunters and non-hunters alike. I have 2 sons. The younger loves hunting just as I do. We are still hunting partners to this day. The elder son goes along sometimes as a spectator and drag hand, and we still have a wonderful time in the woods together!

bloo

Fantastic story. I too have 2 sons. One loves hunting the other doesn't. The hunter naturally looks forward to getting some more of my Sakos, I've already given him some, the other has no interest in them. The non hunter does love to fish. I'm mostly a hunter now and seldom pull the trigger. Funny part about that is I always hunted for a 200+ buck and never saw one. Now I'm blessed with friends with ranches and their hobby is raising 200+ deer and I can shoot one any time I want but I seem to have no interest. Too easy maybe. Looking back I clearly remember the stories behind many spikes, 4 pointers and other non-trophy deer that I harvested with trophy stories. I seems most of my really trophy deer didn't come with a trophy story.

Douglastwo: I made my first-ever elk hunt in the Jackson area in 1974, just a year before you. We didn't have Park permits, but hunted the mountains south of Wilson with a transplanted Texan who knew the area. My partner and I saw the same small bull at the same time about 75 yards away. We both hesitated because spikes were not legal, but when it turned its head slightly we could see a small branch on one antler. I immediately shot, the elk fell, and when I turned to my partner he said "Did you shoot, too?". We had both shot at the same instant and couldn't hear each other's shots! I still have the Sako .264 with its original Leupold 3-9 on it.

I would have guested you were hunting with your 264 Sporter. I know how proud you are of that rifle and I bet to you it's worth more than the 218 Bee that just sold. I was hunting with my GA. I no longer have it, I gave it you my son (the one that hunts), so its in the family and I could borrow it if needed.

I would have guested you were hunting with your 264 Sporter. I know how proud you are of that rifle and I bet to you it's worth more than the 218 Bee that just sold. I was hunting with my GA. I no longer have it, I gave it you my son (the one that hunts), so its in the family and I could borrow it if needed.

I was thinking the same thing D2. That old .264 has definitely been around. Good stuff!
I’ve been aware of the China made Bucks for a while, I avoid them all together. I had a few back in the 80’s that were USA made,
110 folders and a Pathfinder (I think) . Also have an old Rigid Pro Hunter that does very well.
Welcome back Stone!
Bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Safari collection Spaher. The only one I ever had was a .300 Win. wearing a 1.5x5 leupold in sako med rings. I bought it unnoticed at a local auction that was selling a ton of Newton rifles, 800.00, back @ 2000. It turned into an AV .338, an AII .243 and a Mathews archery setup. Great story about the wolf and boo, too! That Dall hunt sounds miserable. Dandy ram, though. Edited, recent 9.3 safari just sold on proxibid for 2k. Search under buckstix.

I was hunting with my GA.

There’s a good side topic! The Golden Anniversary models and Super Deluxes. Who hunts with them? If I had to pick a Sako that I can think of, that doesn’t get hunted much, it’s the GA!
Typically they are NIB rifles that are never fired never hunted with and never,ever, … cheap!
Who does that?

bloo

I purchased my GA new in 72 and threw the box away and begin hunting with it until I gave it to my son around 2010. It has many good memory dings and scratches, I took good care of it, kept it clean, didn't modify it or tinker with the trigger. It grouped consistently at 1 1/4" no matter what pill I fed it. Through my crony if was about 50 fps faster than a couple other 264 non-sakos I hunted with.

Back