Sako redemption

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Dominic Grue, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Dominic Grue

Dominic Grue Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    New member here from Canada.
    Finally decided to quit being a cheapskate and get the real deal. After many incredibly frustrating days with a new Benelli R1 in 30.06--about 300 rounds--MOA 10" at 100 yards :(--couldn't get it to shoot straight to save my life.
    Well, she gone. Got exactly what I paid, so other than all the sight in ammo, broke even.

Traded her off on a new Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in 30.06. Topped her off with my Nikon Prostaff 5- 4.5 - 18 x 40-SF FFP BDC.--to be upgraded a little later on. Bipod TBD.
    Beautiful gun, headed to the range tomorrow to break her in. Love my Beretta A400, hoping this works out to be the same quality.

Any heads up on what to hunt with? 1:11 twist, looking at Federal Premium Bonded Tip 165 gr, or wouldn't mind the extra 10 gr at 175 gr of the same brand Terminal Ascents.

Big elk hunt in 8 weeks--better go hump that pack for a couple hours hike tonight --cant wait for her first kill!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Welcome Dominic. I hope you can now give a better sight in report with your new Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in 30-06. Sorry I can not give you advise on ammo for elk, in south Arkansas we only need 150 gr for our whitetail deer. Let us know what you decide on; and pictures are welcome after the hunt. Wayne

3. Dominic Grue

Dominic Grue Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Hey Wayne.
    Was interesting , used core lokts to break and sight her in. Went to the expensive stuff, didn't like it so much, so, back to the cheap stuff. Fine by me. Loves that Remington ammo, put bipod and sling on, ready to go. Will put a few more boxes through her before hunting season. Little on the heavy side, but I like that.
    Zeroed to 200 yds at 100 yds with 165 Gr Remington Core Lokts. An absolute pleasure to shoot.

Attached Files:

Rogan Kinnear and Wayne like this.
  4. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    I believe that group with factory ammo should be just right to bring the game home. Remington 150 gr is what I shoot. When Sako 150 gr were last on sale for $19.49 a box, I bought a few cases. Hope that it shoots good. Thanks for sharing the picture, Wayne

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  5. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Mate can't complain about that. You would headshot roos, on a cull permit, all day long here in Australia with that. Mind you, it would be bit of overkill :D :D