Sako rear sight screw

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by otley, Apr 25, 2017.

1. otley

otley Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Hi there,

I just came across this great forum and wondered if you could help me. I live in the UK and have a .223 Vixen and .308 Forester that I bought new in 1983 and 1984 respectively. The first thing I did when I got them was to remove the iron sights and plug the holes with 6-48 grub screws.

I recently had a yen to try the .308 with its iron sights and raked through my box of bits to find all the parts. I found everything but the rear sight elevation clamp screw. It's listed as an M3.5 by 5.5 mm screw in the parts list. I have a lathe and can machine one up and blue it, but I want it to be an exact facsimile of the original. Could anyone take a high res pic of one and post it here?

I shot the gun using an ordinary M3.5 screw and was surprised to find that it needed full right windage to get a 100 yard zero. Is this normal?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies and congratulations on running such a useful forum.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Otley - welcome - it may help if you post a picture of your sight so the members can be sure of the sight style and location of the screw for which you need information on.

3. otley

otley Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Hi again.
    Here's a picture of the rear sight with a home-made elevation screw - it's what I thought the original might have looked like:

Attached Files:

4. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Otley - thanks for posting the pictures - hopefully someone that has the same sight will be able to assist you. I do not have a gun with that rear sight style although the best I could do is this picture I attached.

Attached Files:

5. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    The homemade screw looks very good. I like the checkered sides on the rear sight. I assume the front sight ramp is also checkered on the sides. A nice touch. I had one like that. That little detail impressed me. Sako did go through a phase where they were putting off-the-shelf Williams rear sights on. Not as nice.

6. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Otley - from the picture you provided versus the one I found your screw looks great with the possibility of the diameter of the head being a little large.
    larry

7. otley

otley Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Well, I'm impressed - I think that the photo posted by Marlin92 is bang on the money. It looks like my sight except that someone has turned the base around so that it's high at the front and low at the rear. There was a mark on the washer on mine that suggested the screw was 7mm head diameter and I bet the screw in your pic is that.

Many thanks for your trouble!

8. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Otley - glad I could help
    larry