• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako production dates from the old Sako Collectors Club

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good news that the thicker ventilated pad was added to the stock without cutting the stock. You can always purchase used a factory butt plate and white-line spacer if you so choose. If the small increase in LOP isn't a bother, you can always let it be too. Again, very nice rifle.

Based on what my L579 stock from that era measures with the original buttplate & what I assume the thickness of the aftermarket pad is (1"), it appears about 1/2" of wood was cut off the stock. This would make it impossible to replace the pad with an original plate. That being said, I personally don't discount a Sako with an aftermarket pad all that much, especially if it is well done like yours. Others discount them more & purists collectors won't even consider them. If you shoot even a moderately high round count/day or do colony varmint shooting with a 243, you will be glad that pad is there. I think you know all the details about your rifle, so now go out and shoot it & let us know how it does!!

I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared with me. I like the fact that the gun is 'collectable', but I bought it to shoot. It seems like a good quality pad, so I'll keep it. But I would like to get a sling appropriate for the rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my first Sako, and I already have the bug. I'd like to get one in .270 or 30-06. Are the newer Sakos the same quality? I saw a new Sako A7 in a synthetic stock for a little over $1,000

and this one on gun broker http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=488467462#PIC

any thoughts? on the Sako 75 or 85? Am I better off looking for a good quality used one or new?

An appropriate sling would be one that suits your needs & tastes. The A7 was Sako's attempt to compete with Remchester from a price standpoint. Kinda Sako's economy model. They are based of the 75 action IIRC (maybe the 85) but do not have the integral dovetails nor are they quite as refined. Still they are a well built, quality rifle made for hunting. Each of us has their own preferences, but I think you will find most here focus more on the older L series guns from a collector, shooter, or quality perspective. IMHO, Sako hasn't been the same since Beretta bought them & the newer models just don't trip my trigger, so to speak. The 30-06 & 270 Win are very common calibers in the long action (L61R, AIII, & AV) models & can be obtain at a reasonable price compared to the new Sakos. Don't get in a big hurry as these guns are available at any time. Best to learn all the different nuances of the different models & production periods first.

I do prefer an older model. I certainly can appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of my new Sako. That's why I bought it. You're right. I don't want to rush into my next purchase without doing my homework. But I do want a gun I can hunt with; hopefully, I can get a few shots in soon with my new rifle.

Thanks for the help

I do prefer an older model. I certainly can appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of my new Sako. That's why I bought it. You're right. I don't want to rush into my next purchase without doing my homework. But I do want a gun I can hunt with; hopefully, I can get a few shots in soon with my new rifle.

Thanks for the help
Many of the experts (something I'm not) on this forum do like the older Sako actions and models, but many think that, although the designs have changed, the quality has not declined over the years. You would do well to take a look at some new Sako 85s--and, if possible, a 75--to see whether you like the newer actions.

Both the 85 and 75 are 3-lug actions, a design that I really like for the shorter 70-degree bolt throw, which makes it easier to cycle the bolt without any contact with the scope (and allows a lower scope mounting, which, in my view anyway, is all to the good). Both actions have detachable magazines, something that doesn't appeal much to me, but does to some. The older L61R-actioned models have a standard, non-detachable magazine with a hinged floorplate.

The stock designs have changed over the years too, and you can compare the newer stocks with the stock on your recently-acquired L579 .243 to see which seems to fit you best and would feel best in the field. I don't know for certain whether the L61R-actioned Sakos (used for the .270s and '06's)--which were roughly contemporaneous with your L579--had the same stock design as on yours, but others on this forum can easily answer that question.

Thanks for the help
Larry:
We appreciate your enthusiasm & your ability to recognize the quality of the older Sakos. Don't get caught up in the "collector" thing to much. Most here just like to own, trade, purchase, & USE these fine rifles & aren't too concerned about the "collector" value. Most (about 95%) of the Sakos out there are not of collector quality. By collector quality, I mean pristine condition, with box, papers & hang tang in a rare or uncommon configuration. Most of these rifles will be in a safe, sitting unused with the owner hoping that they appreciate in value more than inflation. Others just like to hoard things and say "look what I have". The fact of the matter is, even if considered a "collectible", they are mostly $1000 to $2000 rifles. Hardly worth considering as making a difference in your retirement! Most of us just like to "acquire" them to use & enjoy or salvage from abuse & refinish & restore. Learn as much as you can & enjoy owning & using these fine rifles. If all you are concerned about is the "collector value" you will miss out. Even an old beat up ol' Sako is a thing of beauty to the right eyes!!

I plan on using my guns...not worried about
'collector value' so much. I just like the way they look and feel.

I did notice on the Sako source site that one of the rifles for sale, an L579 .243, has the exact same brand buttplate as mine. (White Line - Patchmark Gunworks) I wonder if this is merely coincidence?

take a look if you like
http://www.sakosource.com/-1073rs-243w-2.5-8x.html

I'm with you South Pender...I much prefer the non-detachable mags. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I plan on using my guns...not worried about
'collector value' so much. I just like the way they look and feel.

I did notice on the Sako source site that one of the rifles for sale, an L579 .243, has the exact same brand buttplate as mine. (White Line - Patchmark Gunworks) I wonder if this is merely coincidence?

take a look if you like
http://www.sakosource.com/-1073rs-243w-2.5-8x.html

I'm with you South Pender...I much prefer the non-detachable mags. It just seems like the right thing to do.
There's no connection between that particular brand of pad and Sako rifles. Pachmayr pads were (and are) very common and put on many rifles of all brands.

The .243 you got is, in my opinion, far superior to the one you posted from Sakosource. Yours is an earlier model, I believe, and has much better checkering than the Sakosource one. In addition, the overall condition of yours appears, from your pictures, much better. And the scope you got with yours is also better than that on the Sakosource rifle, as are the mounts on yours.

thanks...yes, I'm very happy with my purchase.
I see you're from Canada.
Quatico Park is one of my favorite places in the world. My wife and I spent our honeymoon (15yrs ago) there canoeing. Looking forward to a trip next June.

Many of the experts (something I'm not) on this forum do like the older Sako actions and models, but many think that, although the designs have changed, the quality has not declined over the years. You would do well to take a look at some new Sako 85s--and, if possible, a 75--to see whether you like the newer actions.

Both the 85 and 75 are 3-lug actions, a design that I really like for the shorter 70-degree bolt throw, which makes it easier to cycle the bolt without any contact with the scope (and allows a lower scope mounting, which, in my view anyway, is all to the good). Both actions have detachable magazines, something that doesn't appeal much to me, but does to some. The older L61R-actioned models have a standard, non-detachable magazine with a hinged floorplate.

The stock designs have changed over the years too, and you can compare the newer stocks with the stock on your recently-acquired L579 .243 to see which seems to fit you best and would feel best in the field. I don't know for certain whether the L61R-actioned Sakos (used for the .270s and '06's)--which were roughly contemporaneous with your L579--had the same stock design as on yours, but others on this forum can easily answer that question.

I couldn't help myself...bought a new 85 M .30-06 for 1,299. It say's it's a Finnbear. The stock is a lot like my L579. While I do think the blueing on the L579 is much better, I really like the oil finish on the 85 stock. I like everything about the 85....the 3 lug action, 70 degree bolt throw (I plan on getting Sako extra low rings, with a Leupold VR 3 2.5 x 8 ). and I also like being able to keep the safety on while unloading. Sure, it my not have the look and feel of a vintage Sako, but it's still a great rifle.

Attachments

• Sako 85 1.jpg
    Sako 85 1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Sako 85 3.jpg
    Sako 85 3.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Sako 85 2.jpg
    Sako 85 2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Sako 5.jpg
    Sako 5.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 28
I couldn't help myself...bought a new 85 M .30-06 for 1,299. It say's it's a Finnbear. The stock is a lot like my L579. While I do think the blueing on the L579 is much better, I really like the oil finish on the 85 stock. I like everything about the 85....the 3 lug action, 70 degree bolt throw (I plan on getting Sako extra low rings, with a Leupold VR 3 2.5 x 8 ). and I also like being able to keep the safety on while unloading. Sure, it my not have the look and feel of a vintage Sako, but it's still a great rifle.
Larry, that's a handsome rifle! I would take it in a heartbeat over a vintage model. With the scope and mounts you are planning on, you'll have as good rig as any out there for your big-game hunting activities--and far better than most. Congratulations!:)

Gad! That rifle makes me wish I was a young man again. I think I could figure out a way to collect those. Just as esthetically beautiful as any collector I've seen.-Misako

This is the run made especially for Cabela's, right? They pretty much replicated the old Finnbear stock, but with an oil finish look. Very attractive. Was $1,299 the actual store price? If so, they've come way down on them as they were first offered at near two grand, IIRC. The current strength of the USD may have something to do with that.

Yes, I think this model was exclusive to Cabels's. 1,299 was the price. The original price was close to 2,000. I looked on-line and could not find the exact model. Anything close, was over 2,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back