• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Prices From 1970: Actual Data

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

RC20

This seems to be the best place to post this.

My wife found a guns Illustrated date of 1970 some years back, it was one of those that listed all gun mfgs (and importers) and prices. I figured you can do a tad of Kentucky windage (pun) and figure out prices for 1962/63 for the 270 (probably no more than $5 to no more than $20 less)

A Standard Finnbear (my deepest area of interest) listed for $220. Takes special rings or an add on rear sight to the rear dovetail, call its another $20. Also for the same price were calibers 264, 06 (of course) 300 Win, 338 Win, and 7mm mag. Those are a bit of a surprise to me available that early but.....

Vixen to Heavy barrel Forrester ranged from $209 to $224

Vixen Deluxe: $266
Forrester Deluxe: 284
Finnbear Deluxe: $309

Pictures clearly show no rear sight ahead of the receiver.

It also Listed the Sako Pieces you could get:

Sako Barrels: $24 to 30 in sporter to Bull (6 and 12 grove)

Sako Barreled Actions: $141 (Finnbear only listed)

Sako 270 Ammo: $24 per hundred.

Sako Unprimed Cases: $12 per hundred (and wouldn't it be cool to have some of those!

Last edited:
Suggested Retail Price and actual selling price would often vary, depending on local circumstances and how much retail competition existed. Also, a gun dealer might do a special order for a rather nominal mark-up, so it isn't always easy to reconstruct actual selling prices at a certain time and place.

I bought my first Sako in 1965, a Finnbear .264, at a discount store in Texas for $139. Prices other places could have been higher or lower. By the way, that $139 in 1965 dollars is equal to $1,112 in today's dollars according to www.usinflationcalculator.com

Agreed, it would be relative. I would guess my dad put his 1903 Sporter together for $25. Not much for the action and barrel from NRA, a unfinished stock. I recall dirt cheep prices for functioning guns out of htem.

But the prices if you got a deal on one, you would likely be doing the same. So agreed its not a given but it is good context and like you, great to have others who bought in that era to list it if they knew.

Keep in mind the gun had to get from DC to the Ak/Canada border area. Population of that area? Maybe 500 in a region of AK the size of Kentucky (excludes Fairbanks - that is more in the center basin of AK) .

I was thinking that prices we pay these days are the same or less if inflation is a factor. Good data and I think you.

Here are two pages from a Parker Distributors catalog from somewhere in the period 1968-1969 (can't find an exact date). The distributor is long since out of business, but they were a pretty good sized mail order house back in the day. The catalog shows both the "Manfacturers Suggested Retail Price" and their discounted price. Most outlets sold Sakos for somewhere in between these prices, depending on the factors I outlined above.

Note the price of the peep sight at the bottom of the first page. Those now go for around $100.

Sako prices 1966 001.jpg

Sako Prices 1966-2 001.jpg

Hey, found another catalog, this one from the Leslie Edelman company in New Jersey and marked 1972-73, so it should be spot-on for the period in question.
Sako Prices 1972-2 001.jpg Sako Prices 1972 001.jpg Sako Price 1972-3 001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pages. I would like to order 100 Finnwolfs, 50 in 243 and 50 in 308..at the $211.95 each price.
I dont find a phone number, do they take Amex LOL

Model 52

I would like to order 100 Finnwolfs, 50 in 243 and 50 in 308..at the $211.95 each price.
That's $1,278.52 in today's prices. The Finnwolf, which is typically now selling for ~$1,500 or so in 90% or better condition, is one of the relatively few guns that has appreciated faster than inflation.

Thank you for posting those pages, that is great information.

Along with the records that is some of the most valuable reference we can get.

Gun Digest is a good baseline but that is the sort of publication that shows the actual prices.

Funny to think that the old guns are holding their own but not a significant appreciation in value. That also puts things in context.

Latest posts

Back