• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako P72 in .22 WMR

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

jaeger80

I bought this a while ago and I am just now getting around to posting it. I apologize for the poor pictures. I bought the gun without a magazine, but John Reed was able to make me one, which works very well. You can see it in the pictures. Anyways, these earlier Sako rimfires are built hearty and almost feel like you are shooting a centerfire rifle. All metal and walnut was put into this gun, which I appreciate. I haven't really got around the giving it a full cleaning and oiling, but the bluing is still in very nice shape and the wood only has a few minor dents. The trigger is fairly nice with very little to no creep. I'm not really a fan of the squared off bottom on the forend, but that is a minor concern. I actually purchased a Sako mountable aperture sight, hoping it would fit on the top rail, but alas it does not. I'm not sure what I'll do with it now, perhaps buy another Sako so it doesn't go to waste!

nJ1XNmj.jpg

1X9HH0D.jpg

VFqGRs4.jpg

ONKgWO5.jpg

yO2plgN.jpg

h708xJq.jpg

nice pics, thank you.
dont see to many junior model sakos in either cal these days.
the mag looks to be a work of art.
susanna

dont see to many junior model sakos in either cal these days
I was just going to say, that one without any stock checkering was called the "Junior" model. I wasn't aware that any of the Junior models were imported to the U.S. Does yours have an import stamp on the underside of the barrel?

I was lucky enough to acquire a P72 .22WMR a couple of years ago. It carries a lot more authority when exorcising turtles from my fishing pond than a regular .22 LR.

I was just going to say, that one without any stock checkering was called the "Junior" model. I wasn't aware that any of the Junior models were imported to the U.S. Does yours have an import stamp on the underside of the barrel?

I was lucky enough to acquire a P72 .22WMR a couple of years ago. It carries a lot more authority when exorcising turtles from my fishing pond than a regular .22 LR.

Now there’s something new, what fodder are you using for the turtles ?
My own P72 likes the Hornady 30gn Vmax for best accuracy and performance on small game.

Now there’s something new, what fodder are you using for the turtles ?
I have a small stock of Winchester 45 grain Dynapoints that I've been using for that purpose. They use hollow-pointed plated lead bullet at around 1600 fps. I don't think they've been in the Winchester ammunition line for several years. They were sold as "bargain" or promotional ammunition. I can't find any notation on the boxes, but I think the "Dynapoint" ammunition for .22 LR was manufactured for Win in Australia. Not sure about the WMR's.

At any rate, they're not the most accurate .22 WMR ammunition I've tried, but like horseshoes and hand grenades, close does count on a swimming turtle -- the hydrostatic shock will sometimes turn the belly-up.o_O

By far the most accurate .22 WMR ammunition I've ever used has been RWS in a green and black box. I've been hording a small batch of it for when I need real accuracy (and power -- it actually chrongraphs right at 2,000 fps with a 40 grain bullet). But it is pricey, even in the U.S., when you can find it. Plain old WW 40 grain JHP has proven more accurate in my .22 Magnums than any of the light-bullet/high velocity offerings, so that is what I mostly shoot.

But by far the worst accuracy came from some 50 grain Federal ammunition I tried a few years back. My guns didn't care for it at all.

Hi Stonecreek, the old Dynapoints haven’t been available for years over here and by all accounts they weren’t particularly great performers. Maybe just the medicine for giving those pesky turtles a move along :D

Stonecreek, this is a Simpsons import and more than likely came from Sweden.

I wish the peep sight I bought worked on this gun. I'm not a fan of the Williams sights...

Thanks Deersako... The problem with the Sako peep I have is that the dovetail seems to be just a bit too narrow for the sight. When I tighten down the tension screw, it runs out of thread before tightening to the rail.

The dovetailed scope rail on the M78 is 11mm, which is close enough that most sights made to clamp on a standard 3/8" 22LR dovetail will or can be made to work. Check on Brownell's or Midway USA's websites for clamp on receiver sights for some options. The sight you have is probably the Sako peep made for the tapered centerfire dovetail & you will never be able to get it to work on your rimfire. Changing to a peep sight may require you to change the height of your front sight as well. You will have to shoot it to see. Conferring with a gunsmith would be a prudent choice, as he will be able to calculate your front sight height needs based on the peep you get. You can also remove the scope rail & drill & tap your receiver to accept all kinds of receiver sight options.

Thanks Deersako... The problem with the Sako peep I have is that the dovetail seems to be just a bit too narrow for the sight. When I tighten down the tension screw, it runs out of thread before tightening to the rail.

As Paulson has said -

The dovetailed scope rail on the M78 is 11mm, the sight you have is probably the Sako peep made for the tapered centerfire dovetail & you will never be able to get it to work on your rimfire.

The correct Sako peep site will have an 11mm straight dovetail, this is what I believe Robin has on his rifle.
They are out there, but will be a hard part to find.

I love wmr. Would love to find a rifle like that. My CZ is too short in LOP. Jealous!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice
I’m very interested in the magazine
I have an m78 in 22wmr bought a few years back only just started using it few days ago on the nag follower keeps popping out I’ll send some pics
Have replaced it numerous times to no avail
I’d like to get one of those mags being mahufactired by a member
Have you any pictures?

Latest posts

Back