• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako P72 Finnscout trigger screw

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

chuckb

I lost my small trigger adjustment screw and need a replacement. It is screw number 2 in the diagram.

Update -- I have located a screw. It is a 3.5mm.

n8XRLYZ.jpg

Last edited:
Take out screw #3 & try it in screw #2's hole. If it is the same thread take it to a store that sells small specialty screws. In my area it is Ace Hardware. Find the right diameter & pitch. It will be a metric thread/pitch. From the pic, I'm guessing it's a 3mm. You can check the pitch by trying some nuts on it at the store. You might have to cut to length or modify it or take it to a gunsmith if you don't have the tools or skills. I found an overtravel adjustment screw for a Sako #4 trigger at Ace that was a perfect fit. Only difference was it took an Allen wrench to turn it instead of a screwdriver. If screw #3 doesn't fit, take the part of the trigger that screw #2 fits into to the store. The Ace I go to would have this screw for sure. Good Luck!

The big home improvement stores keep a limited selection of metric screws, as does Tractor Supply. I don't know if they go down this small, but lacking any other source you might try one of those. If you're in a major metro area then you can usually find a specialty fastener supply store which would almost certainly have such a screw.

Thanks. I took my rifle to the Fastenal store and the clerk determined that 3mm was too small and 4mm didn’t thread.

Last edited:
It's probably a 3.5mm diameter screw. Pitch is probably the standard for that diameter which is .60. The guy at Fastenal is probably limited in his familiarity with metric sizes if he doesn't know there is a 3.5mm diameter screw & sold you a 4mm tap you don't need. You can't run a 4mm tap in a 4mm hole with different threads or you will botch your trigger up. Look for a 3.5mm x .60 screw (they're readily available as that is the size I found for my #4 trigger at Ace) before you start drilling & tapping a trigger part you can't replace if you screw it up. Just sayin". PM me your contact info if you can't find one, as I have several screws that size. If you know the length, I'll send you one.

I'm not familiar with this trigger even though I have three P72/M78 rifles as there were apparently three different triggers used on this model, which seems odd for a rifle produced in relatively low numbers. However, screw No. 1 is definitely the mounting screw and should be tight and locked with the nut. Screw No. 2 appears to be the trigger sear engagement adjustment; and screw No. 3 appears to be the bolt sear engagement adjustment. Adjusting either sear engagement (particularly the trigger sear) can be tricky and should be left to a competent professional.

I'm not familiar with this trigger even though I have three P72/M78 rifles as there were apparently three different triggers used on this model, which seems odd for a rifle produced in relatively low numbers. However, screw No. 1 is definitely the mounting screw and should be tight and locked with the nut. Screw No. 2 appears to be the trigger sear engagement adjustment; and screw No. 3 appears to be the bolt sear engagement adjustment. Adjusting either sear engagement (particularly the trigger sear) can be tricky and should be left to a competent professional.
Many thanks for your help.I have posted a new thread

Back