Sako P46 from 1949

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by stonecreek, Jan 29, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A friend of mine in Denmark saw a P46 for sale in a local shop and wrote me about it. The price was reasonable, so I asked him to buy it for me. We'll get it to the U.S. eventually, but I was willing to buy and wait (and go to some expense to import) since, according to the records, there was exactly ONE P46 commercially imported to the U.S. by Firearms International. FI didn't import any P54's, either, that I can tell -- there was no commercial importation of any Sako 22's until Garcia started bringing in the P72 in 1972.

Here are some photos my friend sent me of the P46. I'm guessing that the bright bolt handle finish is not original, nor the wood finish; however all of the original parts seem to be there including the ladder sight. I just love the flame-stained look that Sako did on those birch stocks.

IMG_20190129_133010565 (1024x205).jpg
    IMG_20190129_133004422 (1024x284).jpg

robinpeck, cl_leg, OldIronMan and 5 others like this.

2. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Very nice Stone!

I’ve seen a few of those and owned one myself for a brief period of time and I really do think that the wood finish is original. It looks pretty muchlike mine but better. I’ve also seen them with bolts just like yours but it willbe hard to decide if the left the factory that way?

Nevertheless, very cool rifles!

Congrats!

Jim

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Lovely P46 there Stonecreek.

4. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Nice looking rifle.

So, how much does it cost to import firearms stuff? I suppose you will be required to use an importer? What kind of fees do they charge? Do the same fees / rules apply to rifle parts like the trigger or bolt?

Thanks
    stonecreek

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I can't even start to answer all of your questions since I have little experience in this area. I do know that commercial importers generally charge very stiff fees for handling the import of a gun.

However, any dealer who holds an FFL is allowed to import up to 50 guns per year on behalf of individual customers. The dealer applies for a "Form 6" import permit by listing information about the individual gun or guns such as make, model, serial number, barrel length, name of seller, country of origin, etc. With the approved Form 6 he may receive the gun from overseas, enter it into his inventory, then transfer it as one normally would to the customer. Such limited "individual" imports are exempt from the regular 11% excise tax, and apparently from whatever small import tariffs exist.

The expensive and complicated part is shipping and warehousing in a bonded facility. You would have to ask someone else about those issues.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Oh yeah, parts: As I understand it, you can import any part other than a barrel or frame (receiver) without a permit or license as long as its value is less than $100.

7. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Thanks stonecreek