Sako O/U Shotguns.. yes they are real!!!

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by hookem74, Nov 18, 2009.

1. hookem74

hookem74 Member

This is a pair of Sako Over and Under 12 ga shotguns. To best of my research, there were 27 of them made.. The parts were made in Hungary, and then assembled in Finland at Sako, so they do bare Sako markings. They rarity of them makes it very hard to find much more out about them. Even the kind folks at Sako could not get me much more than that. There is only one gun book in existence that even acknowledges them, and it is in Finish, me being in Texas, makes it hard to find also. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    You have two really rare shotguns there, we can all tell you that. Arma Fennica vol. 1 is the reference to these shotguns, which was a joint venture between Sako and FEG of Hungary. As I recall, they were never produced, only done up as prototypes, and only 10 pieces made (but perhaps 27 units, as you state).

Congrats! You've got the goods there, and don't let them out of your sight! I'm envious. Do you shoot them? Unfired?

DeerGoose

3. hookem74

hookem74 Member

Never been fired, have them wrapped up in silicon socks locked deep in the vault. If I am not mistaken, I think you are the one that helped me get some info on them several years ago on the original page. If I had not before, I will thank you now! I was also able to get some info from Sako, but very limited. That is where I came up with the 27 number, because before, I thought there were only 10 also. Either way, very proud to have two of em!!

4. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    oh yes, Hookem. I now remember the fax that I sent a few years back. Your memory is better than mine!!! If you ever want to part with one of those, don't hesitate to PM me. I've got some Sako goodies that you may be interested in, for a trade perhaps ? You never know.

DeerGoose

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    THANKS FOR POSTING! This is my first look ever at the elusive and almost mythical Sako shotgun.

6. hookem74

hookem74 Member

I wish, if they are still around, that the owners of the other ones would get on here with some info.. I know that my dad bought these in the early 70's. Would like to see where the rest are at. TO his knowledge, only one other one made it to the states, but that may not be accurate. We may never know..

And I take back the number of production.. I just found the email that Sako sent me on them... not much..

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your inquiry.
    What you have is basically two prototype shotguns. Sako has never seriously manufactured shotguns. The parts of the Sako shotgun were made by the Hungarian Ferunion ( FEG BZ 12 ) and only finished by Sako. There were the total of 17 pcs of these rifles and they were made in 1970. I'm sorry but I don't really have any further information on these.
    Kind regards,
    Reine Austin
    Marketing Assistant
    Sako Ltd."

7. hayseed51

hayseed51 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your two beauties! Our club is enriched by your generosity. I'll add my congrats and admiration with the others.

Hey L-61R! JIM! Looks like we're gonna need a whole new catagory here...

8. martygrady

martygrady Member

martygrady
    0 minutes ago

I THINK I MAY HAVE THE FIRST ONE OF THE PROTYPES MADE.. IT WAS MADE BY FERUNION OF HUNGARY TYPE BZ12-V, CONSTRUCTION NUMBER 9143 AND NUMBER #1 AND MANUFACTURED IN THE EARLY 1970'S.

I WILL TRY TO ATTACHE PHOTOS AND THE ORIGINAL PAPER WORK.

MARTY GRADY
    martygrady@hotmail.com

9. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Marty- Here you are. I can't comment because of my total lack of knowledge about the stampings. Misako

Attached Files:

10. martygrady

martygrady Member

OKY DOKY

SEND YOUR E-MAIL AND I WILL SEND PHOTO AND COPY OF THE ORIGINAL PAPER WORK TO YOU.

THE BARREL HAS SEVERAL SYMBOLS, THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I WILL TRY TO GET A PHOTO OF THEM ALSO.

THX

MARTY GRADY

martygrady@hotmail.com

11. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Pictures are posted, Marty-Misako

12. martygrady

martygrady Member

SAKO FEG 12 ga OVER UNDER PROTYPE
    This Feg over / under was manufactured in Hungary by
    Hungarian Ferunion for Sako firearms and finished by Sako in Finland. This is a model BZ12-V, factory order 9143 and number # 1 of 17 prototypes. Sako was exploring this market in the early 1970's. This piece was manufactured 5/26/1973.
    All paper work is included.

I am getting up in years and have no idea what to do with this piece.

mmg@cox.net OU 1.JPG OU 4.jpg FERUNION.JPG

stonecreek, susanna and deergoose like this.