• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Moose Hunt...Day 2

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Banned
To hunt bear, deer or moose in Finland, you have to pass a shooting test. This is a straightforward test - a moose size paper silhouette with a target area of 65cm at the chest. Three shots at a stationary target standing at 75m. All 3 must be within the target area. Then, another three shots also at 75m, but this time, with a moving target. The "moose" will run at 6m per second, exposing itself over 25m (so, about 4 seconds to line it up and squeeze the trigger). It will run three times, and each time you fire one shot. Again, all 3 shots had to be on the target area. (Sound simple, yeah? Well, read on!!)
Our first stop on day 2 was the factory. There, we picked up our rifles, each tagged with our names. From then on, we were individually responsible for them (gun licenses had been arranged for us by Sako). All of us had stainless synthetic 75s in 30-06. Scopes varied - some B&L;, Zeiss, Leupold. Mine was topped by a Swarvoski 2.5-10x - an awesome combination! It was then back on the bus for the short ride to Loppi shooting range.
Loppi was an impressive facility. I counted at least 4 ranges, all of Olympic standard. We were taken to one of these where the moose shooting test had been set up. We were introduced to the test personnel, briefed again, and then it began. We were called up alphabetically, so being lower on the list, I could watch how the others went. Man, were we in for some laughs! Typically, shooting at a stationary target was no problem. All of us did that ok. But when it came to the running target - whooah!! I personally had to have 4 takes on that before getting all 3 shots on target!! My only excuse was that this was the first time I had shot at running targets. In New Zealand, few ranges are set up with the equipment. Hunting conditions are very different too, being mainly thick bush. Running shots in that environment are rarely taken. Anyway, when I finally passed, you could see the relief on the faces of my Sako hosts!! I was promptly issued my hunting license, and they must have made a note about keeping an eye on this guy!
There were still a couple of hours free before heading to our hunting area at Nauvo. We had a picnic lunch (including a Finnish tradition - using fresh branches to skewer sausages and cooking these over an open campfire). Thoughtfully, Sako had brought along a number of different rifles for us to try out - there was a TRG in 308, a beautiful 222, and also a Finnfire. Of course, we could also continue shooting our 30-06s at the moose target. All ammo was supplied by Sako. Well, a pretty keen competition soon developed around the running moose. Three shots, all at one run!! Man, we sure got some real good practice with those rifles! Never seen bolt actions worked that quick!
After all that fun, we got back on the bus for the 3 hour trip to Nauvo. This was great - nice views of the countryside, lots of talking, laughing. Sako had loaded the bus with snacks and drinks for the trip, so we were right into these. "In-bus" service was provided by the Sako guys, walking up and down the aisle with two bottles - "white" wine (vodka!) and "red" (cognac!). By the time we got to Nauvo, we were in some condition!
Nauvo's a beautiful place - an island in the middle of a whole archipelago of islands in the Southwest of Finland! We were told there were something like 15,000 islands. The permanent population of the area outside summer was also 15,000!! A couple of hours after checking in to the hotel, we met our hunting hosts/guides (from the local hunting club)and were given a briefing on how the hunt would be conducted. To start, we were told the moose population in Finland was about 300,000 to 350,000. Every year, the Ministry of Conservation sets a target number to be culled. This year, the number was 65,000!! This number is then divided among the registered hunting clubs. The Nauvo club, through Sako's support, had made available some of their quota, so that's how we got there. The hunt would be traditionally Finnish - a driven hunt using one dog and other "two-legged" dogs (ie. people!). The party would be divided into 4 groups, each with 4 shooters. Each group would be taken to a different island for the hunt. There, shooters would be placed at strategic places some safe distance from each other. Each shooter would have a local guide with them. The dog and "dogs" would then start at the opposite end, driving any moose towards the shooters. The rules were simple. Only moose to be shot - no whitetail, foxes or goat. Of moose, bulls to be the first target. Calves were next on the list - on the reasoning they would be unlikely to survive winter anyway. Cows could only be shot if they were alone, without a calf. If you shot a cow with a calf following, be damned sure you also got the calf! Otherwise, it would be stuck out alone in winter facing a cruel death. Breaking the rules like this would mean a trip to the local police station and the status of "observer" for the rest of the hunt!!
After the briefing, we all adjourned to a restaurant
for dinner. Great food, wine, and the chance to get our guides better. We had a great time, but called it an early night though. We had another early start the next day, but this time, we really had to be sharp. We were going hunting....!
Day 3.... to be continued

Fantastic update, alk. Keep 'em coming. These kind of stories make me want to go out and buy a SAKO this weekend. We'll be standing by for the next chapter of your great trip !

thanks,
DeerGoose

Sean,
They're pretty DAMN BIG!! Hey, I'm just a simple guy from New Zealand brought up on a diet of fallow and red deer. When I saw my first moose, I just about forgot what I was doing...just wanted to look at it!! As soon as I get my act together, I'm going to ask Jarkko for some help and get my photos into the album. You'll see what I mean....

Latest posts

Back