Sako-Mauser Mannlicher Stock

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by stonecreek, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I came across this rifle a short time ago. It was priced attractively and, although I didn't need another .270 I simply had to have it due to its unique Mannlicher (full wood) stock. I have never seen another in a Sako-Mauser, and had no idea that any were made in this configuration. It has the full length 24.4" Sako barrel and a two-leaf folding sight. The pad is hopelessly crushed and will need replacement, however, the condition of the wood and metal finish is excellent. I haven't had it out of the stock, but the FN action is totally unmarked so far as I can tell.

It makes a nice complement to the Sako-Mauser Deluxe I have (also the only one I've ever come across) which is chambered in .30-06. The Deluxe has all of the features of a Deluxe Finnbear with skipline checkering, contrasting fore end tip, and engraved floorplate.

DSC00366 (1280x271).jpg
    DSC00370 (1280x720).jpg

deergoose, icebear, deersako and 6 others like this.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Very nice stonecreek.
    There are a few out there, but they are scarce.

3. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Kaunis kivääri!

4. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Very cool!!!

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Wow, what an amazing find. I am seriously envious.

Texas seems to be home to a lot of rare Sakos. We have no such luck in Arizona, although I do know a guy who claims he has 2 in 7x33 and might sell one of them one of these days. I'm not holding my breath.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The scope base I ordered for the Sako-Mauser Mannlicher came in the mail yesterday, so today I installed it and put a Leupold 1.5-5X on it that I had spare in the safe. Not necessarily the very best power range for testing accuracy, but it would do to get an idea. Here's a photo of what it looks like with the scope mounted:

DSC00394.JPG
    I manually bore-sighted the scope the old fashioned way by looking through the bore and aligning the crosshairs with the where the bore was pointing. With a plain old factory Remington 130 grain Coreloct it shot level and 2" left of center at 50 yards, so I adjusted it four minutes to the right and moved the to 100 yard target. I was more than pleased to see the next three shots right where they should be and barely over 3/4 inch center to center. Who says full wood rifles can't be accurate -- even when their barrels are more than 24 inches long?!!

DSC00400.JPG

kevinlg, FLT, tripledeuce and 2 others like this.
  7. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
  8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I didn't think to weigh it before mounting the scope, but I was surprised by how relatively light the unscoped rifle felt. Weighed with the mount, scope, and sling in place (as pictured above) it tipped the scale just a hair under 8 pounds 13 oz. This compares with an early Finnbear with slender barrel (also scoped with sling) at 8 pounds 11 oz; and a late L61R Finnbear with scope and sling at 9 pounds 6 oz. Scopes, mounts, and slings were not identical, so there is a little apples/oranges here, but the relative weights are fairly representative.

The weather today looks like it will cooperative, so I'm going to try some of my favorite handloads in the Mannlicher to see how they act. I've ordered a Pachmayr pad to replace the one on it from "The Night of the Living Dead". No telling how good it will shoot without that piece of desiccated zombie hide attached to its butt.

An aside: Yesterday I also shot a new-to-me Krico .22 Hornet Mannlicher with 19.5" barrel which made three shot groups of .60" and .65" with two different handloads (factory loads were more on the order of 1.0" to 1.5"). Wood all the way to the end of the barrel seems to bring me good luck. If you're a Sako fan but not familiar with Kricos (now out of production), you really should check them out. While perhaps not fitted and finished quite as well as Sakos, these German-made rifles seem to be outstandingly accurate and combine some of the best features of both European and American designs. I find those with the double set triggers particularly seductive.

9. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Interesting that you should mention a Krico .22 Hornet Mannlicher at just this moment. Tomorrow I am off to spend the weekend in Phoenix cruising the biggest gun show in Arizona. For the past several years one of the vendors has shown up with exactly that item on his table, and I have thought seriously about it. I like Krico rifles; I have a Krico 700 in .30-06. A couple of years ago I almost bought it, but I thought it was a bit overpriced and condition was OK but not super, so I passed and bought a CZ-Brno instead. Who knows, I might make the guy an offer if he still has it (as far as I know he didn't sell it last year and I don't see him at other Phoenix shows, so the odds are at least 50-50 that I'll see that gun again). Of course I will be on the lookout for Sakos, Tikkas, and Valmets as well, but Arizona is not fertile ground for Finnish firearms. Last year I saw a few scattered Sakos, but nothing that talked to me. This year, we'll see.

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No flies on those fine little Brno ZKW 465's! (Or is yours the later CZ version?) Anyway either of them are some of the most accurate Hornets ever made.

I've accumulated several Kricos. A .222 Magnum with set triggers has pretty well spoiled one of my grandsons as a prairie dog rifle. And I suspect that this most recent Krico Hornet will be with me until I depart for the hereafter.

11. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It's an early CZ 527 made at Brno. If I remember correctly the box identifies it as a "Fox" but I'm not sure and the box is in my storage unit.
    CZ Hornet w:Zeiss 1.JPG

12. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Looks just like a 527 "Lux" model I used to have! Never could get that stock to work for me with a scope, but they are nice rifles!!

13. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I think a 527 Lux is exactly what it is. The comb is low for a scope, but I can deal with it. The stock is great with the open sights, and I have the scope in Warne QD mounts so I can take it off and practice with the sights. .22 Hornet ammo is about as cheap as you can get for target practice in a centerfire rifle. A .22 is cheaper, of course, but there's a distinct difference in feel between a small CF rifle and even a large rimfirelike a CZ 455.

14. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nice! Brno did make a "Fox Model 2" which had a contrasting fore end and grip cap. It differed very slightly from the Brno 465 in that its action opening was only on the RH side while the top was solid between the rear bridge and forward receiver ring. Nice guns, as I had one for a while but felt I didn't need two Brno Hornets so sold it. I guess the Fox was sort of a transition between the Brno ZKW 465 and the CZ 527.

Here's a Brno Fox on our friend SakoSource's website, but it is in .222 and not Hornet: https://www.sakosource.com/-1248rs-brno222.html

15. FLT

FLT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I have a Fox 2 in 22 hornet , it has the set triggers and and iron sights . I believe that it was made in 1984 ,I’ve owned it since 1985 and it was new in the box when I got it. I’m not a big fan of the set triggers but other than that like the rifle.
    I’m a big hornet fan and have several different rifles chamber for the hornet cartridge.