• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako-Mauser 8x60

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

From today's reply from Epps:
"The Sako FN98 HiPower rifle in which you are interested (SKU #147090) is chambered in .30-06 Springfield. This marking appears on the barrel in front of the rear sight, but is not visible in the photograph posted on our website."
Not for me.

Good day Gentlemen,
This is my first post, having only joined the forum today after searching for info on this rifle.
It appears Elwood Epps was confused when they advised the Sako listed in the thread above was 30-06. Their listing now has it as 8x60.
Does anyone have any additional info on these old Sako's? An earlier post advised there were a couple others for sale in Canada. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Peruse the forum section Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers & Magnum Mausers & you will get answers to all your questions. Your rifle was made in the 1950's by Sako using a FN Mauser action. It was their long action offering before they made their own long action, the L61R in 1961.

Good day Gentlemen,
This is my first post, having only joined the forum today after searching for info on this rifle.
It appears Elwood Epps was confused when they advised the Sako listed in the thread above was 30-06. Their listing now has it as 8x60.
Does anyone have any additional info on these old Sako's? An earlier post advised there were a couple others for sale in Canada. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Epp so-called 8x60 has the same stock number referred to above ... From Epp: "The Sako FN98 HiPower rifle in which you are interested (SKU #147090) is chambered in .30-06 Springfield. This marking appears on the barrel in front of the rear sight, but is not visible in the photograph posted on our website." Was once described as an 8x60s as well, which was doubtful. And I think it may have been purchased once and returned, but not sure of that. Epp has an L61R that I think was returned, and that scares me off that one. (The 8x60s formerly for sale maybe were with Tradeex (is no more) if I recall correctly.)

I just got thinking again about that message from Epp that the rifle stamped 8x60 is actually a 30-06 and so marked further down the barrel.
How could that be possible?
If I have it straight, the diameter of the 8x60 bore is .318 or .323. So a barrel marked 8x60 (and it is so marked) could not have been rebored to 30-06 as that hole is smaller (.308).
Maybe they were confused at the time they sent the message and maybe it is in fact an 8x60???

If I have it straight, the diameter of the 8x60 bore is .318 or .323. So a barrel marked 8x60 (and it is so marked) could not have been rebored to 30-06 as that hole is smaller (.308).
The 8x60 nominal groove diameter is .318" (often called the "I" or "J" bore). The 8x60S has a nominal groove diameter of .323" (referred to as the "S" bore) which is the more modern and widely used diameter. Sako apparently made both, although all I have seen have been the smaller 8x60 "I" bore.

In neither case could such a rifle be "rebored" to .30-06. The 8mm/06 (a .30-06 case necked up to 8mm) was a fairly popular wildcat when there were lots of surplus 8x57 Mausers floating around, so it is possible for the Sako to have been rechambered to 8mm/06. If it were originally marked "8x60" then the bore would still be the .318" "I" bore.

I am very late to the conversation but I note from the photos that the caliber roll mark is longitudinal (parallel to the bore) whereas my rifle has "8 X 60" rolled marked radially as does every other SAKO I've examined. Mine shoots as well as yours with 200 grain .318" psp Buffalo bullets from Idaho (if I recall the name correctly). Recoil is significant as the rifle weighs no more than 7.5 pounds. The FN action is the smoothest M98 I have ever cycled.

Back