Sako m78 22 hornet

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Auctioneer, Oct 5, 2015.

?

Sako m78 22hornet with two 5shot mags. Good to very good condition. For sale

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Sako m78 22 hornet with two 5 shot mags. Good to very good condition.
    What's it worth

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    What somebody will give you for it!!

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Welcome Auctioneer. I'd say around $700-900 depending on condition here in Australia. Its a rear locking action and not as highly sought after at the front locking L46's that were also chambered in hornet.

4. wolverine

wolverine wolverine

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan

5. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Perhaps it's worth that much if you auction it off and a few people start to get silly, but as a trade to a shop or private sale I'd say closer to $500.

mansjaco likes this.
  6. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Maybe the Hornet is worth less than the .22 LR, but I'd say $1K if in decent shape.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Not sure what it's worth in OZ, but here in the States they seem to be overvalued & I think a lot of buyers over the last few years are going to regret what they paid for them. They don't shoot very well, generally, as they are a centerfire round on a rimfire action & not all that well made, IMHO. I own none now, but have several Winchester rimfires from the 50' & 60's that I consider much superior rifles from a build & accuracy standpoint. I've owned four M78 Hornets (stubbornly tried to find one that could hit a bull in the a## with a hand grenade without success) so I speak from hands on experience. I think one can spend their money more wisely on other Sakos, as the Sako M78 Hornet niche is quite small & unlikely to hold value. Just my two cents. Like dvh said some people get "silly" & then everyone thinks that's the market value. $1000 for one like Paul7 said is insane. Problem is, people eventually come to their senses and the market collapses. I wouldn't give near what I see people paying for M78 Hornets, but like I said I had four so maybe I learned something. BTW, the magazines are worth about $100 each. Problem is if you sell them your rifle is worthless. Topgear touched on the problem, it's a one lug rear locking modified rimfire action that is poorly headspaced not a true front lug centerfire. Nuff said!

8. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    My M78 .22LR is great from a build and accuracy standpoint. None of the plastic on the current Finnfiire .22s. I can see where the .22 Hornet would be less desirable. M78 001.JPG 001.JPG either.

9. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    About 10 years ago I bought one for my father only because he had been wanting a Hornet. He actually liked it more as a gift than a rifle. I paid 600.00 for it thinking all the while that there were much better ways to spend 600.00 on a Sako. When Dad passed away, I took in a few of the Sakos he had acquired, but that one went off to a new owner. I'm very much in agreement with Paulson on every one of the points he made.