Sako L691 deluxe in 338

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Biebs, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Biebs

Biebs Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Hey folks, new member here. I've been involved with rifles and hunting my whole life. Member Jerry here from NY saw that I came into a Sako L691 Deluxe in 338 and suggested I join the forum to learn about the rifle. I've owned several Sako Safaris and Mannlichers over the years, but never a Deluxe.

This one came from a dealer who had it for years and couldn't move it in his rural market. It is a new gun that was on display, and I received the original box when I traded for it. It is serial number 908398. Although the box tab notes the Stoeger name, it does not appear anywhere on the rifle. Perhaps that was not a requirement at that time? Or perhaps it's marked underneath the woodline?

The rifle has beautiful wood, skip-line checkering, the Bear on the gripcap, and the gold stag figure on the magazine floorplate.

Is there value to this rifle, or should I just consider it as a hunter?

Biebs

2. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Welcome, Recognize your handle from AR. First off, pix my man! The X91 series guns were kind of short lived between the A-series and Model 75 guns. They broke away from the 3 scaled action types to just 3 action lengths with a uniform bolt diameter. A couple other changes- recoil lug, trigger. They are well made guns and still bring a premium. A deluxe 338 seems rare, I'd hunt with it, but I wouldn't put it in a saddle scabbard.

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What's the "Blaser Guy" do'in on the Sako board??!! :) :)

Welcome!!!

Note: We've been known to "rotate" our "acquisitions" also. :)

4. Biebs

Biebs Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Yes, there are interesting rifles out there without the Blaser nameplate! :) Here's the Deluxe. I just thought I'd ask the experts before I took it out and scarred it up, as usual.

5. Biebs

Biebs Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Oops, guess I need 3 posts to be able to put up photo links. Here's #3 :)

6. Biebs

Biebs Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ricksengines likes this.
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The L691 is a little too recent to have any real "collector" interest, but a NIB Sako of any generation is a prize. You won't live long enough for its value to appreciate enough to make a difference, so by all means take a trip 1500 miles or so to the west and kill an elk with it; or fly it to the African continent and look for an eland.

It should have the Stoeger import mark on the underside of the barrel just in front of the wood, but folks say they have found the mark under the wood of the forearm. It is a "child" of the late 1980' or early 1990's. You find relatively few Sakos from this period due to economic conditions and monetary exchange rates at time.

8. Biebs

Biebs Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Thanks! Yes, looks like 1992-1996.