• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L61R Ring Windage Problem

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Boresighting is great if you have space to set up for it. However, I shoot at a public range that's a ways away and has limited opening hours. I'm reluctant to do much of anything outdoors with guns at home because I live across from a high school and sighting in a rifle in my back yard could draw unwanted attention. So, I use a laser, which is fast and convenient. I use a Laserlyte, which fits in the muzzle and comes with a set of arbors that fits everything from .22 to .45. It costs under 50 bucks and well worth it. If you sight in with a laser boresighter at close range, you should aim the scope a bit above the laser dot to correct for elevation. This gets me on the paper every time.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Like icebear, I've got a limited ability to range out 25 yards at home, and range time is compressed and usually I can't do something very elaborate at the packed local ranges around here. So, I'll have to use a laser or hippie's method. But I'm confident I can get it, as long as the scope mounts are dialed right then everything should be good.

I'll concede that shooting at public ranges somewhat limits what you can do. Still, once I got to the range with rifle which has been optically boresighted I would check the accuracy of the boresighting by the peep-through-the-bore method when setting up to shoot at the 100 yard (or whatever distance) target.

I'll concede that shooting at public ranges somewhat limits what you can do. Still, once I got to the range with rifle which has been optically boresighted I would check the accuracy of the boresighting by the peep-through-the-bore method when setting up to shoot at the 100 yard (or whatever distance) target.
No argument there. As my grandfather, a finish carpenter, used to say, "Measure twice, cut once."

Got the rings in today. These are insanely nice:

tYXGpfl.jpg

(low key plug of the vendor, who seems to get these in from time to time)

Thank all of you for your help, the scope is mounted and boresighted!

gblKAhg.jpg

I can't wait to get her out to the range!

I'd also like to thank tslans for their excellent explanation of vintage ring torque specs, here. I went with about 7 in-lbs, which sure isn't the 14 that my Nightforce rings on my PRS gun are at, but it should be enough.

What a complex piece of vintage tech! The zero on the boresighter (I used a Bushnell optical boresighter - vintage kit for a vintage project) moves, the rings move, the zero on the dovetail moves, and the scope body and reticle move! You gotta get everything dancing in harmony, it really had me sweating bullets! You can see I ended up with a slight rearward set to the front ring, that was absolutely necessary as far as I can tell, as I bottomed out the windage adjust on that ring. I was very surprised to find that the ring windage actually has clicks, what a hot feature for the 1960s!

Hey Grem, how did she shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back