• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L61R Mannlicher, what exactly do I have?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi, I'm new here. I recently picked up a used Sako Finnbear full stock .30-06 in near mint condition, with a Swarovski Habicht scope. This is my first Sako, and I know little about the brand.

I started looking around the net (that's how I found this forum) for comparable rifles, and all the Sako Mannlichers I see have a plain walnut stock. Mine is heavily figured.

I read that Sakos came in different "grades", i.e. Hunter, Deluxe, etc. Mine is not marked with regards to that, how do I know what it is?

Another thing I'm unclear about is the year of manufacture. Serial number is 537xxx, I guess that means 1976? Shouldn't it have import marks then? It doesn't...

Maybe the Sako experts on here can help me find out exactly what I have here. Either way, the rifle is a keeper. It it incredibly accurate.

Thanks, SandSpider

Welcome, Sandspider.- Looks like you kicked off your club membership in a grand way. Very nice combination in a great old chambering. Go forth and buy more.-Misako

The import marking would be under the stock. No need to take it apart for a peek at just that. Your dating of the rifle may be a few years too early, but that is hard to say. I will have to take a good look at the old Sako models and the serial number references at hand.-Thanks for a good first post.-Misako------------EDIT You may call your Mannlicher a Finnbear Alll (A3) or just Mannlicher. Nobody will argue. I think you have a 1978 rifle.

Last edited:
The import marking would be under the stock. No need to take it apart for a peek at just that. Your dating of the rifle may be a few years too early, but that is hard to say. I will have to take a good look at the old Sako models and the serial number references at hand.-Thanks for a good first post.-Misako------------EDIT You may call your Mannlicher a Finnbear Alll (A3) or just Mannlicher. Nobody will argue. I think you have a 1978 rifle.

Thanks. I must admit I have a bit of a Mannlicher fetish. All but one of my hunting rifles are full stock models. I am also somewhat partial to the 6.5x55 caliber, but this .30-06 surprised me. It shoots much better than I expected.

100 yard target:

Sandspider- I have come to expect that kind of accuracy from my hunting rifles. Sakos have never let me down in the grouping dept. I am real partial to the .308W and have been since I started out. I can understand others that like and swear by the oft times little known chamberings just because they had excellent success with them. The 6.5 X 55 is a real sleeper when it comes to this category. Shot them-like them- but don't own one.-Misako

I read that Sakos came in different "grades", i.e. Hunter, Deluxe, etc. Mine is not marked with regards to that, how do I know what it is?

SandSpider,

congrats on the rifle, it really is a beauty. You can tell from the checkering this rifle is the Hunter model, but luckily the wood is extra figured. High grade gun stock oil will make the figures even more visible and keep the stock from warping in wet conditions.

- Valdemar

Welcome to the Forum, SandSpider!

The Mannlicher models were only made in the "standard" grade. Sako wood varies quite a bit and the fiddleback seen in your stock shows up somewhat randomly in Sako stocks. It can be spectacular in some of them. The term "Hunter" grade did not come into usage until a later model, but it essentially means the same thing as "standard" grade. The Deluxe was only produced in the sporter rifle model with the half-stock. It can be identified by skip-line checkering, engraving on the floorplate, contrasting rosewood forend and grip cap, and typically a lighter color of stain. The heavy barrel, or varmint model had the same grade of finish as the standard model, just with a heavier contour barrel and a stock with a beavertail foreend. Short action rifles (.222, .223, etc.) were called the "Vixen" with an action designated as L-461 or later A-I; medium action models for .243/.308 were called the "Forester" with an action designated "L-579" or later "A-II"; long action models like yours were "L-61R" or later "A-III" and even later "A-V".

In the mid-1970s the serial numbers for the "Finnbear", or "L-61R" models (the long actions) jumped from five digits to restart at 500,000. Your rifle's SN would appear to put it in the Garcia era, but Sako SN's tended to jump around in sequence so it is never a sure thing to try to age a Sako solely by its serial number. My best guess, looking at your carbine's configuration, is that it is from the late 70's or even early 80's. It has the "A-III" style bolt shroud, but lots of late L-61R actions used this bolt, so the action itself may be stamped either "L-61R" or "A-III". The two actions were virtually identical with the primary difference being the shrouded bolt.

The accuracy that full-stock Sakos exhibit is usually very good, as you've demonstrated, right on par with half-stock rifles. Congratulations on your first Sako. If you're like the rest of us, it won't be your last.

Last edited:
High grade gunstock oil?

SandSpider,

congrats on the rifle, it really is a beauty. You can tell from the checkering this rifle is the Hunter model, but luckily the wood is extra figured. High grade gun stock oil will make the figures even more visible and keep the stock from warping in wet conditions.

- Valdemar

Could you please elaborate? brand names, sources? What makes it high grade? Thank-you sir!

Back