Sako L61R Deluxe 7mm Pronghorn Hunt with Dad

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Hillcountry, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Hillcountry

Hillcountry Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    I am going to WY in September with my Dad hunting Pronghorn. In December 2018 my Dad gave me his Sako DLX L61R 7mm originally purchased in Africa (Kagnew station) in the early 1970s.

I've been working on sighting in the rifle for the hunt using 140gr Nosler Trophy Grade. The scope is 3x9 power and is not the quality of the VX6 3x18 I use on my model 70 264 win mag.

I have been considering changing out the scope for the hunt but it would take much of the nostalgia from the experience. So I'll stick with the Bouche and Lomb 3x9 and just practice more.

Attached Files:

Furdown and Sean Hodges like this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Having been purchased in Africa explains the iron sights. Deluxe's purchased in the states would come without. I'd just ask your dad if he would mind if you changed the scope out for a newer version. You wouldn't sell the old one anyway. Those look like the original Sako low rings on there now so that might limit your size of your new objective bell.
    Very nice looking rig....enjoy the hunt with your father.

Hillcountry likes this.