1. NZSteve

NZSteve Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi ,

From New Zealand. Have owned a number of Sakos. But am really enjoying this new purchase - Sako L61R .270. Very cheap, little use. Am just in the process of stripping and cleaning.

Question: The weapon trigger pull feels around 5-6lb. Factory setting maybe. Quick and crisp. I want to lower that to around 2lb. I rang the local gunsmith and was told that they did not attempt such work on this rifle - too much chance of 'mucking it up'.

Can someone tell me why this is and if there is anything else I can do.

Cheers

Steve

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    It should have an adjustable trigger. Here's a link to a pdf of the owner's manual for the L61R. It tells you how to adjust the trigger. Whatever you do, don't mess with the sear engagement. Pull weight and sear engagement are separate adjustments. You need to be sure the mechanism is completely clean; crud in the trigger can cause a heavy pull. I recently had to take apart an L61R trigger and clean the internal parts with solvent and brushes because it was thoroughly gummed up, to the point where it was actually dangerous. It wasn't a lot of fun. Hopefully yours isn't that bad.

Link: https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Finnbear.pdf

By the way, I spent a lot of time in NZ back in the late 80's and I love the country and the people. I once finagled a lift on a C-130 from Tarawa to Auckland, courtesy of RNZAF.

3. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Note as it says on the manual icebear linked: "Trigger pull can be adjusted from screw B. However this must never be less than 1,5 kg (3.3 lb)". I would not recommend going lower than what it says on the manual unless you really know what you are doing.

Btw you can't mess with the sear engagement unless you go at it with a grinding stone. The other screw is for trigger over travel (backlash), which is usually staked in place at the factory and is not easily adjusted. Usually it is good enough, so no need to mess with it anyway.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There is NO ADJUSTMENT SCREW FOR SEAR ENGAGEMENT on the Sako #4 trigger. It is done at the factory & should not be messed with. The two adjustment screws on the front of the trigger housing are for weight of pull (the one with the lock nut) & overtravel (backlash). This trigger should not be adjusted below around 2.5 (varies from rifle to rifle) as the safety will not function properly. There are several threads here, with diagrams showing the adjustment screws, discussing how to adjust this trigger. I've never had any trouble getting a SAFE 2.5 lb pull weight nor have I ever had to adjust the overtravel from it's factory setting on any of my Sakos. 5-6 lbs is heavier than what I've experienced with a factory setting, so you might want to give it a thorough cleaning before doing any adjustment. If you don't have a good understanding of how any trigger functions & it's limitations, I always recommend you have a qualified smith perform the work. Obviously the smith you contacted isn't. The #4 trigger is a very good trigger designed for hunting. If you try to make a target trigger out of it you most likely will have troubles & create an unsafe weapon. Be aware that no one knows what the previous owner has done to it. Good luck & welcome to our forum.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM
  5. NZSteve

NZSteve Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Thank you both for your comments and thank you PO4R for the link to the manual. I will be disassembling the weapon this evening and will clean all relevant parts as you suggest paulsonconstruction. Then I will lower the weight to a safe point and take it to the range. I am going to start the ball rolling with a load from my last .270 (Berger VLD Hunting 130gn) and see where we are.

PO4R - I recently retired from Police but spent the other half of my life as a Territorial Infantry (Maj) - I think you might call that National Guard. So yea, round the block on C-130s courtesy of the RNZAF. I'm not sure if they are good memories or bad.

Thanks again to both of you for the help. I will look for the threads relating to trigger pull and look forward to shooting this rifle.

Steve