Sako History Sako L61R. 270 win Deluxe

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by AliN, Jun 4, 2019.

1. AliN

AliN Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    Morning from Scotland,
    Just would like to know if I have dated the above rifle correctly the number is 514319 and I dated it at about 1975. Would I be correct. Thought I would ask the more knowledgeable people on here. Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As Sako didn't build rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers it is nearly impossible to accurately date one from the serial number alone. From what records we have Sakos made on the same day could have serial numbers thousands apart & Sakos with serial numbers just a few numbers apart have been shipped years apart. Things like floor plate release buttons, barrel stampings & contours, stock differences, & other subtle changes can help better approximate a Sako's birthday, but without factory records (which are not available for your rifle) or a Hang Tag the exact date will remain a mystery. Sako initiated a numbering change in 1974 with 500001 & switched to the AIII action stamping in 1978, so your "guessimate" of 1975 is as good as any.

3. AliN

AliN Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    Thank you very much for your reply. I thought that would be the case. The L61R that I have was given to me about 25years ago. It is still very accurate with 150gr RN and still wears the same Pecar scope. Will see me out and most likely the next generation as well. Suburb rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk