Sako L579 Tenon Length

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by ricksengines, Feb 17, 2018.

1. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Got a barrel for the L579 receiver and the tenon is about 3/16" too long. The barrel is marked 'importrd by Stoger" and Finland. No forester roll stamp. Caliber is marked .308.

As I understand it the l579 tenon is .870 long.

The barrel screws into the receiver with out binding but does not go all the way in up to the shoulder. It is in as far as it will go but there is about 3/16" more to go on the barrel before it will snug up. It isn't cost effective to machine it to fit so I'm going to send it back to the seller.

Question is what Sako receiver does it fit?

I need some quick help with the answer to this question.

Many Thanks

rick

2. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I just looked at a Sako M591 in .308 on GB. The barrel markings look identical to the marking on the barrel that I purchased. So it is probably a barrel for the M591 and not the L579. Does anyone concur with my findings?

rick

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I doubt it is for an L591 since that action was larger in diameter than the L579. There were a few TRG-s rifles chambered in .308 but I would have thought that it also used a larger diameter thread (the L579 is 1", correct?)

Is it possible that someone machined it to take a barrel washer/recoil lug between the receiver and the barrel like a Remington 700?

4. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Stone. I don't think it was re-machined. It is odd that the M591 has the same roll stamp as the one I purchased. So the mystery continues. I'm still returning it to the seller. I did think about making a spacer but that might screw up the head spacing.

rick

5. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Not sure about the Stoeger stamp but it could be from a 308 size 75 or 85, or maybe even a Tikka T3. They all have the same 1" x 16 tpi thread as the L579 but have a longer tenon.
    Not a big job to shorten the tenon and cut the chamber deeper.

6. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Well to get everything to line up correctly it does take some doing. Also I don't have a 308 finishing reamer in the shop and they are expensive (even to just rent one).

7. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I wanted to revisit this thread just to make sure that I have clarification on the thread TPI that was used on the Sako L579 receiver. Is it 1 x 16 TPI or was there a different thread config used depending upon the year the that L579 rifles were produced? Was there a difference in threading between Bofors marked barrels and barrels that were unmarked?

Many Thanks for contributing and answering my questions.

rick

8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The thread for the L57 was a somewhat oddball size (25mm or .984 x "approx" 17 V TPI according to the Frank de Haas book Bolt Action Rifles), but when it was updated to the L579 the thread used was the somewhat standard 1x16 TPI. At least that's what all of the books say. Early L579's often exhibited some carryover features from their predecessor action. It is conceivable that some early L579's used the L57 barrel thread, but I know of no verification of this hypothesis.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    By the way, the L61R mostly used a 1.046" (26mm) shank, but the Frank de Haas book indicates that early L61R's used a 1" shank. Could the barrel in question be for an early L61R? I wouldn't think so due to its much later age, but it is possible that someone wanted to put a .308 on a long action and Sako accommodated them with such a barrel.