Sako L579 Forester

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Texal, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Texal

Texal Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just bought this rifle in .243 with original stock on it. Clear finish on stock needs to be redone. In some places clear looks good other areas has imperfections where looks like clear has worn off.

What should I use to recoat clear finish?

Thank you or your help.

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Your question really depends on your overall expectations. High or low….

Simply put there is not a good method or product for re-coating. You’ll end up very disappointed if you attempt some sort of finish blend.

A complete refinish is you’re best bet, unless you’re okay with just a quick attempt at covering the bare spots. If that’s the case then just buy some inexpensive Tru Oil or equivalent. There are many excellent quality stock finishes available. Brownells is a good place to look.

Obviously you haven’t included your skill set or experience related to the task at hand, If your limited my recommendation would be to have a professional do a complete refinish. If you poses some skill, then a refinish might be a fun project.

Personally I used Pro Custom Oil for the better part of 30 years. It’s easy to work with and forgiving. Others here will have recommendations and products which work for them.