Short Actions Sako l461 or AI?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Pecio, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    hello to all, I found here near my house an old man who wants to sell the rifle in the photo is 6 ppc. Can anyone give me some information about it? on the card there written L461 but it could be an AI? If I wanted to change stock for what action should I order it for? Thanks to anyone who can help me

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The only difference between a L461 & the AI action is the AI has the rear bolt shroud so the action inletting is the same. However, barrel contours changed over time & your barrel may not match an aftermarket stock exactly. Sako started making the 6PPC long after it changed the model stamping to AI but still referred to them internally as the L461. The AI stamping should be on the left side of the receiver even though the label says L461.

3. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    hi paul, I too had a similar idea from the readings of these days, now I just have to find a classic English style stocks. I would like to create a mini rifle in classic style to be used for hunting deer. I asked the owner the twist rate but did not know how to answer . I hope it is suitable to shoot 85-90gn bullets.

4. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    The serial number is 1885xx.

5. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Your Sako Hunter 6PPC looks identical to mine, except mine doesn't have the front sight. In my rifle the twist is 1-16" and won't stabilize anything over 80 grs. I'm using the Speer 80 gr. Hot-Cor bullet(no longer made) for deer hunting, but have only gotten 2 so far. Both DRT. And it's a very accurate load, better than I can hold.
    I tried various bullets, including an 80 gr. Barnes X bullet, but could not even get on paper with anything other than the Speer. Because the X bullet is solid copper, it's longer than a conventional lead core bullet, so it won't stabilize. I even tried machining off the base of a few bullets to get it down to 75 grs., still would not work.
    Our deer here in Virginia are not nearly as big and large-boned as deer in the north country, and so far I like this combo very well. I was hunting on national forest last fall and carried to to the top of Brushy Mountain, it's such a light rifle I hardly felt it.

6. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    I really hope that my 6 ppc is not 1-16"because I would be forced to rewrite it, because in Italy we do not practice varmint but only larger ungulates, our roe weighs about 50-60lbs , I would use it for distances of 300yd max. As soon as I can collect it past coronavirus I will see what to do. For now I am happy to have paid 400 € with rings from 1" but without telescope

7. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Here is a pic of my rifle. The scope in the picture is a Nikon Monarch 5 x 20, but it now wears a Leupold Rifleman 3 x 9 20190105_101913-1.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  8. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Wow! That was an outstanding deal! I paid $1170 (US dollars) and was quite happy about it

9. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    very nice, yours has a much nicer wood than mine, now the last problem will be to discover the twist rate of my 6 ppc we hope well. It must be a pleasure to hunt with such an object.

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  10. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    [QUOTE = "RifleNutPPC, post: 81254, membro: 12292"] Wow! È stato un affare eccezionale! Ho pagato $ 1170 (dollari USA) e non sono abbastanza contento [/ QUOTE]
    Italy it often happens to buy interesting rifles at much more interesting prices, because there is no real culture of the rifled weapon. On the contrary, for smooth-barrel rifles for which there is a huge culture.

dgeesaman likes this.
  11. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    A
    Ahh, yes! The Italian made shotguns are legendary..

12. Pecio

Pecio Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    This will be the scope that I mounted on the 6 ppc.swarovski habicht 2,5-10x42 that I had once mounted on a steyr Mannlicher

Attached Files:

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  13. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Very nice!

14. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I wouldn't worry about the twist of the rifle. You got a great deal on it. Just use a conventional lead core (not solid copper) bullet of 80 grains or less and it should shoot fine. Even something like a 70 grain Nosler Ballistic tip, although intended as a varmint bullet, is adequate for the small roe deer, as would be the Sako factory 70 grain load. I've seen plenty of whitetails, which are twice the size of a roe, taken with the 70 grain Ballistic Tip.

Stay away from the solid copper bullets like the Barnes since they are much longer for a given weight than lead core bullets and require a faster twist to stabilize.

dgeesaman and RifleNutPPC like this.