L46 Sako l46 riihimaki .222

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by John_Rico_Markram, Aug 3, 2020.

1. John_Rico_Markram

John_Rico_Markram Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Hello. I was wondering if it is possible to remover the complete rear sight on the sako l46 riihimaki .222 to fit a larger scope?

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    The rear sight on the L46 is braised onto the barrel. Removing the sight always results in leaving a solder residue on the barrel and significantly reduces the value of the piece. Trying to replace the sight that has been removed is not practical. So why not get a dovetailed sight and put that on not destroying the rifle or its value.

rick

John_Rico_Markram likes this.
  3. John_Rico_Markram

John_Rico_Markram Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Rick thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The early L46's, although they had integral dovetails for scope mounting, weren't really designed for scope use. Later in the run the rear sight was moved further forward on the barrel to allow for better clearance between a scope and the rear sight. Still later, the stock's comb was raised to provide better eye alignment with a scope.

Lots of owners of early L46's removed either the sight leaf (to provide a little extra clearance) or the entire sight (to provide much more clearance). As Rick points out this does result in a bright, unblued spot where the silver solder is melted off. But assuming your near 70 year-old rifle might be a candidate for a re-blue, anyway, you might consider removing the rear sight and re-bluing the entire barrel.

5. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I have been considering the same thing. I absolutely love the bluing and am struggling to commit to having it reblued. My bluing jas some lovly tones where it has worn.

John_Rico_Markram likes this.
  6. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland