L46 Sako l46 riihimaki .222 scope fitting

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by John_Rico_Markram, Aug 3, 2020.

1. John_Rico_Markram

John_Rico_Markram Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    State/Region:
    other
    Hello. What is the best solution for fitting a scope on the sako l46 riihimaki .222? I'm having problems with the rear sight getting in the way.

John.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    High rings and a scope that doesn't stick out too far in front. What power scope do you want to mount? The 4-12x Burris Mini is a great scope for an L46 and doesn't sit too far forward, but it's discontinued and hard to find. Here's a shot of it mounted on an L461; you can judge for yourself whether it would clear your rear sight. Note that there is still some room to move the scope back. A 3-9x Burris Mini (second photo) has a much smaller objective and quite a bit less forward protrusion and is somewhat easier to find. The scope in the first photo is mounted in Conetrol rings; they are beautiful but a giant hassle to install. I'd go with old-style original Sako rings, as shown in the second photo.

Audette 1.JPG

Carbine+Burris 1.JPG

3. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Another way to go is one of the older German -and other European scopes with 22 mm or 7/8” tubes.

Sako made split rings for them and they often have small objectives and oculars and often have very good lenses. Gives the rifle a period look as well.

Pecar, Kahles, Meopta and other makes can be found for not a lot of money over here.

All the best!

Jim

John_Rico_Markram likes this.
  4. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Jim,
    I am looking for a period 22mm Meopta or Kahles scope if you know of one. Stay Safe.
    Blackjack