Sako L46 .32-20 WCF

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by blackjack, Sep 8, 2015.

1. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello All you Sako Lovers,

I have some very good news as follows.

I am in communication with my sister-in-law who lives in Finland and has an uncle who works for Oy Sako Ab and has done so for many years. I have been in contact with my sister-in-law's uncle for about 5 years. I recently e-mailed her uncle about information on the Sako L46 .32-20 WCF and this was his response.

Dear Michael,

Sorry for having kept you waiting for my reply. Yes Sako did manufacture the model L46 in 32-20 calibre but only in small quantities. We also made cartridges in this calibre. I couldn't find the registers of the rifles chambered in .32-20 but a retired colleague of mine remembers that this calibre was sold especially to Australia. I hope this information is what you were looking for.

Best Regards

That e-mail is word for word. If I receive any more information on the Sako L46 .32-20 WCF I will post.

Regards

Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

2. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    That is good news indeed. This kind of information is worth it's weight in gold when someone happens upon a Sako 'that was never made'. Hopefully you will stay on good terms with your sister-in-law so we can prevail upon you to check into the next oddball that surfaces. ;)

3. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Mike,
    That is amazing confirmation on the 32-20!
    As i have posted some time back, i have spoken to two different gunsmiths here in Australia, that both say they saw the 32-20 back in the 50's! Totally un related, years apart, and in different parts of he country.
    The first said they sold one through his fathers shop and the other looked at one in a gun shop, but decided not to buy it.
    Would be great to finally see one!

L-46

4. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Mike, have you picked her up yet? How about posting some detailed pic's when you get a chance. Jim

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My sister who lived in Montana said she knew a guy from Oregon that saw several "Bigfoots" in the Pacific Northwest (USA) back in the 50's, but most of them were exported to Tibet where they are now called "Yetis" or "Abominal Snowmen". As much as I would like a L46 in 32-20 to appear I don't see a reprinted Email from an unknown source transmitted thru a second party, with no name or explanation of his position at Sako, & his inability to reference anything other than the memory of a retired employee as "confirmation" of anything. For crying out loud, he WORKS THERE & can't get any other evidence or testimony??? Please, SHOW ME A RIFLE!!!

6. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I haven't been looking as long as L-46 has but I've never seen or meet anyone yet that had actually seen in person a L-46 .32-20. It certainly would be interesting to see it verified that they existed.

Lots of mystery's out there - deluxe L-46 hornets, heavy barrel hornets & Bee's etc

I think there was actually one guy who ate his hat (well he offered too!) on the forum over a A1 .220 russian or something like that from memory :D

7. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Friends,

I am working on it. At this time I am waiting on another e - mail from my Sako man. I will try my hardest to find out all I can on the L46 .32-20 WCF.
    What about the Sako .32-20 WCF ammunition? Any one ever seen any?

If the ledgers can be found we might know how many of these elusive rifles were made & sold. I don't wont to put too much pressure on my Sako man or he might go to ground!

Blackjack

8. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes Blackjack I have seen sako .32-30 ammo, there was a few packets recently for sale at a Melbourne gunshop. However, they made ammo for many calibers they never chambered rifles in i.e. 310 cadet etc

9. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I too will only be a true believer when i have one in my collection!
    There were many different rifles chambered in 32-20 in Aust. and lots of ammo from all makers.
    I do not have a photo handy, but have quite a few boxes of Sako 32-20 ammo.
    I also have some Sako projectiles for the 32-20. Most dates from the fifties.

I hope one comes along one day!
    You can never say never with Sako!

L-46

10. dappa

dappa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    This just sold on usedguns in Australia I’ve been looking for one in 32/20 as well

Attached Files: