• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L46 .22 Hornet Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I agree, there was many special orders taken by the factory, must be 1 there somewhere.
The 22 Hornet was a childhood favourite for many hunters, with precision marksmanship, great feats could be achieved.
If Sako '1' and Sako '2' , never dug one up, they must be thin on the ground.
L-46

I don't have a Hornet Deluxe...never seen one. But I do got me a late L46 Hornet with longer clip with spacer. Mag is marked 'HORNET'. Serial number is in the 40,xxx range.

DeerGoose

Hi All,
Just so you can rest easy, below is my L46 22 Hornet (short clip, left wing safety, 58xx) with custom K .22 Hornet barrel and what I think is an added fore end tip. Perhaps the factory MIGHT have done something similiar to create Deluxe's.

Cheers
Chris

P1210215.JPG
P1210213.JPG
P1210222.JPG
P1210226.JPG

Last edited:
Piper - nice machine! But that ones way too early to be a deluxe - left wing safety. Looks like a custom rig with an orginial full pancake cheek piece stock that has had a foreend tip added. Very nice.

I'm wondering if there are any factory hornet deluxes - ones that have the later style stock with skip line checkering, enlayed pistol grip cap, engraved trigger guard and magazine floor plate - i.e. acorns etc. As mentioned they would have to be later versions with the longer magzines. They would look something like the attached photo's of a .222. Its a shame that the mag floor plates aren't stamped .22 hornet on the deluxe versions. This means they would be easy to fake. Buy a late model standard .22 hornet and a .222 deluxe and then simply swap across. With the mag all you would need to do is switch the floor plates of the magazine. I was kind of hoping the floor plates carried the .22 hornet stamping which would make it a little harder to fake. An orginial would be a real rare find.

Attachments

• hornet deluxe 1.jpg
    hornet deluxe 1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 160
  • hornet deluxe 2.jpg
    hornet deluxe 2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Emd
I'm starting to think that the deluxe magazine bottom plate had no calibre stamping as they where only available in one calibre ie 222 or 222mag.
Where the acorns specific to one or both chamberings?

I don't have a Hornet Deluxe...never seen one. But I do got me a late L46 Hornet with longer clip with spacer. Mag is marked 'HORNET'. Serial number is in the 40,xxx range.

DeerGoose

Deergoose,
that is truely outstanding, a real late model hornet!
does it have a round forend stock?
L-46

Piper ,
That fore end is done very well, not by the factory but a nice job indeed!
I bet you enjoy bunny season, with that little rifle?
was it a hornet before?
thanks for the photos
L-46

Hi Guys, first post. Yes they did do a Deluxe Hornet because I have one. I bought it nearly 20 years ago from a guy who bought it new. It has unfortunately been refinished a bit and has been rechambered to K Hornet. It doesnt have the engraving on the bottom like the one above but it has the skipline checkering, rounded forend, rosewood grip cap and forend. Stock has been refinished too. Sights have been removed and the metal reblued. Barrel is just about shot out, was on it's last legs when I bought it and my son and I have put another 4,000 plus through it since then. I have a new Douglas blank and a K Hornet reamer so will rebarrel before long. Cheers.

Rubicon: Would be nice if there was some documentation from the original owner or other from of provenance to establish the rifle came from the factory in it's present form. Without the engraved floor plate/trigger guard, & mag plate there would be some doubt associated. It could have left the factory that way or it could have had a deluxe stock added or the original engraved bottom metal could have been switched. Hard to say for sure with all the "could haves" involved. I have never seen a deluxe without the engraved bottom metal. Hope you can find the proof. Would be a rare find. Love the K-Hornet!! Neat little round.

L-46:

my late Hornet looks like a Vixen. Squared off foreend, but has a blonde stock like the late Riihimakis that we see so many of in .222. The rifle is in pristine condition !! I paid a pile of dinero for it.....my wallet still hurts. I've had the rifle for a couple of years.

DeerGoose

Nice one, DeerGoose!

I'm just wondering: Is the actual magazine space for the cartridges longer on the "long" magazine version than on the "short" magazine version? Or do you have a "short" magazine to compare?

As a reminder, my Mossberg bolt action 16 gauge with the Cutts compensator and C-Lect-a-choke adjustable choke is always available for trade on a nice Sako like this.

000_0113.jpg 000_0111.jpg

I have both size clips, Stone. The cartridge space is the same, blocked off by a gap filling top plate and metal underneath which acts as a guide and keeps the cartridge over the follower. The followers are the same length, but have different cutouts on the ramp. As you know, these items are scarce, I have only one short Hornet clip and two long version Hornet clips.

DeerGoose

Great photos, DeerGoose . . . and worth a thousand words.

Now that the lightweight plastic-tipped spitzers are available, I wish that I had a Hornet with a magazine just a tad longer than most. Of course, Hornet magazines were designed when the only bullets suitable for the Hornet were very rounded and very short. Most Hornet magazines limit cartridge length to about 1.75" or so. If I had another tenth of an inch to work with I would be much more comfortable when using bullets like the Hornady 40 grain V-Max and Nosler Ballistic Tip or Varmegeddon.

Deergoose,
that is truely amazing, i never thought i would see one with the square forend stock!
the condition is superb, and great photos, thanks for sharing!
the barrel stamping is the same, bet it took some time to find the stamps after all those years!
L-46

Last edited:
best I can tell, 1959 manufacture.....it had the right peep site too. still need to find a deluxe L46 in Hornet. I bet there's one out there somewhere.

DeerGoose

Deergoose, that is truly an amazining find, nice to know its in good hands now!
Does it have a microgroove bofors barrel?
what other L46 hornets do you have in your collection?
regards
L-46

Last edited:
Deergoose...you sure know how to pick 'em! Fantastic Find and it looks to be in outstanding condition! Thanks for sharing these great pics!~Bloo

no problem, Bloo.

Yes, the later L46 rifles are stamped Bofors, as is this one. I've got one other Hornet, an early one w/ the left wing safety. It is deep in the safe, and is one of my favorites.

DeerGoose

Latest posts

Back