Sako in 6.5/280 Ackley

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by mepps1, Mar 14, 2020.

1. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    My hunting and long range platform.

I"m upgrading the scope to a Mark 5HD. Looking for a 20 MOA base. Need some help with model ID.

Thanks!

Sako 1.jpg Sako 1.jpg Sako 2.jpg Sako 3.jpg Sako 4.jpg

Attached Files:

nicholasako and ricksengines like this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's either an AIII or AV as the bolt is shrouded, IF it is a Sako. Someone has either removed the action dovetails or it is from a proprietary Sako action, possible a Browning built by FN, that already had the dovetails removed. Just speculation on my part.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    What even makes you think it is a Sako action? The only thing I see that is similar is the bolt shroud and safety. Could be the rifle was simply built on some custom action.

4. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Printed on the side; "Action by SAKO Finland". I bought the action new from a local gun builder and had it barreled as a 6mm. It never really shot all that well. Put a few thousand rounds through it. Had it rebarreled from another builder. This barrel is much, much better.

Obviously, I'm not a SAKO expert. That's why I asked.

Three rounds load test at 100. 143gr ELD-x @ 3,030 FPS

Attached Files:

FLT likes this.
  5. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Did the first builder mill the dove tails off of the top of the Sako action? The base and rings that are on there now look to be Redfield. Check that out and make sure then find out if they are drilled for Rem 700 spacing and buy a 20 MOA rail to replace the one that is on there.

mepps1 likes this.
  6. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I honestly don't know. The mount and rings are Leupold, but it's been 20+ years since I first set it up, and I don't recall how the mount was spec'ed. I hadn't thought of the possibility that it was milled for a non-Sako base. Thanks for the reply!

7. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Blew up all your pics and just can't see where it says Sako anywhere. Even back in the day the Sako dovetail system was about as good of a scope mount set up you could get. Just can't see why any builder back then would mill off those dovetails. I've had a vintage Redfield mounted on a 300WM for almost 50 years without one hiccup.
    I still think your best bet for a 20MOA mount would be to remove the one on your action and compare it to a Rem 700. Yours could be mounted with blue loctite so take care. Burris makes MOA rings alone but won't fit that base, something else to check. They are adjustable from 10 MOA to 40 MOA I beleave. Good luck....
    3030 fps seems a tad slow for that set up

8. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Apologies for the crappy pics. It's printed just ahead of the bolt release. The Cerakote makes it hard to see. It's a two-lug bolt. Still not sure what model.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 700 base. The holes measure up that way. I've got one on order.

3,030 FPS is pushing fairly hard at that weight of bullet. Max listed load for the .284 Win Mag is 3,050. I'm running just barely below that on 3.3 grains less powder. And it's printing one-hole groups. I think I'll keep it.

The long, heavy, slippery bullet is the ticket for long range work. Lighter, faster bullets shed speed and energy more quickly and deflect more in wind. This load runs over 1100 fps (supersonic, roughly) to about 1650 yards. It's packing 1500 foot-pounds to about 1250 yards.

9. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    From the pics, it does look like possibly a 700, model 70, Howa, or Savage profile. That base looks to be either a Leupold or Redfield. See if there are any markings/model numbers on the underside.

Measure the distance between hole's 2 & 3. A 700 long action will measure 4.500". A model 70 long action will measure 3.800". I don't have a Howa or Savage to measure.

10. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    The bolt shroud throws me off. Plus the floorplate release just doesn't look correct. Hard to tell from the pics. I am really shocked the experts on here have not even offered an opinion. They do on every other anomaly.

11. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The action on all of my Sako action Brownings have been marked as you describe. The stamp is on the side on the action and hidden under the stock. Keep in mind that the small and medium (L461 and L579) Sako actions made for the Browning Safari, Medallion and Olympian rifles did not have dovetails and for some reason both actions can have two different hole spacings for the bases. Thus the one piece Browning, Leupold and Redfield bases from that era are stamped with a code to distinguish the different hole spacing. Therefore, if your action is a L579 Sako, and if the base is either Browning, Leupold or Redfield, the base should be stamped with either "BL" or "BG".
    Browning Rings and Bases.jpg Browning Bases 1674 and 1679.JPG

mepps1 and FLT like this.
  12. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    douglastwo, thank you. That is just the info that I thought could come from this site. The modern bolt shroud still throws me for a loop.

mepps1 likes this.
  13. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mepps1, to give you an idea of where the codes can be found, here's a few pictures of a L461 sako action browning in 222 Rem. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the L579 medium action Browning. Notice the code on the Browning base laying on the table is BH, and the code on the end flap of the Redfield box is also BH. The base mounted on the rifle is a Redfield. Hope this helps.

Sako L461 base code BH.JPG Redfield base 511145.JPG Redfield and Browning bases.JPG

mepps1 likes this.
  14. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Douglastwo, thanks so much for the specific information. I appreciate it! I'll post up more when I get it reassembled.

15. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I just checked. My Leupold base is marked 700LA. The screw spacing seemed to correspond to a Remington 700 LA. That's what I have on order. Hopefully it all bolts together.

16. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a round-top action built by Sako for Magnum Research, Minneapolis, MN. They used these actions to build their "Mountain Eagle" rifles. The action top is milled to be identical to Rem 700 actions and takes the same mount bases.

Your action might have been salvaged from a Mountain Eagle rifle, or, as I understand it, when Magnum Research stopped building the Mountain Eagle they sold their unused Sako actions into the market where they were snapped up by custom gun builders. I believe that it is (other than the round top) identical to the short-lived Sako L691 action.

mepps1 likes this.
  17. mepps1

mepps1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
  18. nicholasako

nicholasako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region: