SAKO III

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Finnlighter, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Finnlighter

Finnlighter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello, This is my first post. After searching I cannot find much information on a SAKO marked SAKO III. This one is a 243. Any information would be appreciated or a source that I can go read.
    Thank you.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If it is marked with a roman numeral III (not AIII) on the left side of the action it is a Model 75, action size III. The 75 had no model stamp but came in four action sizes stamped I (small), III (medium), IV (long), & V (magnum). Sako initially planned a II size for the PPC based rounds, but never made it commercially available & decided to use the III action instead for those cartridges. The Model 75 was made from 1996 to 2006 when it was replaced with the current Model 85, which does have a model stamping.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep, not putting the model designation on the Model 75 is one of the more confusing things Sako has done. As Paulson points out, it is further complicated in that the Models 75-I, 75-III, and 75-V get further confused with the Models A-I, A-III and A-V. Sheesh!

There was one more Model 75 -- the SM, which was for the Short Magnum series of cartridges from Winchester.

Another confusing point for people who are relatively new to Sakos is that we often speak of the early L61R actions as having a "three lug bolt". This refers to the two forward locking lugs and the third safety lug just in front of the bolt handle. The Model 75 is a true three-lug action with three forward locking lugs spaced about 120 degrees apart on the front of the bolt.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Forgot about them adding the SM action when the "fat" magnums became the latest "innovation"!! IIRC, the SM is the same as the III, but the bolt face is bigger & the magazine modified for the short, fat magnums.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. Finnlighter

Finnlighter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I thank all of you for your knowledge.