sako ID

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by mossin, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mossin

mossin Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    I have this Sako rifle but have been unable to find any info on it. Its in 7.62x53R the action has Sako 1964with a logo with Tokyo and Suomi on the side of the action. It has a set trigger and a very heavy barrel with barrel weights.
    Any information would be helpful as would like to also find out what bullet weight the sights are calibrated for etc.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've only seen these occasionally, but they pop up every now and then. You have a Sako based on a modified Mosin action which was built for the centerfire competition in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. This particular competition has been dropped from the Olympics quite some time ago and there is no longer any shooting event using a centerfire rifle -- only rimfires and air rifles.

I have no clue as to why Sako didn't use their L61R as the basis of this rifle; I suppose it is because they had produced a similar rifle for previous Olympics and simply stayed with that existing design.

3. mossin

mossin Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    As you will see its not a Mosin action the only part that from a Mosin is the modified bolt head.

Attached Files:

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Very interesting!! Curious as to why the sights are offset to the left & not over the bore centerline. Does anybody know what this Olympic shooting contest was called & the distances shot?

5. mossin

mossin Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    I think it was at 300 mtrs but would really like to know the bullet guess it was a Lapua D46?

6. mossin

mossin Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    does any one have contact details for the sako factory so I can find out more about this rifle

7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    The e-mail address for questions is [email protected]

Might take some time before anyone reads your question.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Although the folks at the Sako factory are quite nice and courteous people there isn't anyone left there who has any knowledge of Sako's older production. I have spoken with one young gentleman there who has a personal interest in target shooting and the Mosins, but if he has any information on this rifle it would be as a shooter himself and nothing to do with his job at Sako. It won't hurt to send an email, however, since sometimes emails will get circulated among the staff and someone might chance to respond if they happen to take an interest in the subject.

9. mossin

mossin Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK England
    can you please send me his email?
    regards
    Paul