Sako High Power .270 help

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by west35w, Jun 24, 2016.

1. west35w

west35w Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hi all from Aus. Newbie looking for some info on my Sako high power .270. ser. no 112xxx. It has the bofors barrel, european stock with cheek piece (no monte carlo) and a schnabel forend. Ivé looked high and low for information on this model with the schnabel forend but can't find any. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Post some photos for us. I don't recall seeing a Sako-Mauser with a schnabel fore end on a factory stock. But then, I haven't seen everything and recall less and less of what I have seen:(. Are you sure the stock is not a custom one?

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Usually, when I hear the term Sako High Power I think of the early Sako long actions from the late fifties built on the FN Mauser action. That model was replaced by the L61R Sako action around 1961 & had the Bofors Steel barrels. I am not familiar with any L61R's with a stock like you describe. My guess is you have a custom stock on a Sako barreled action. Pictures of what you have would clear up any confusion.

4. west35w

west35w Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks for the replies fellas will post some photos tomorrow when I work out how to attach them. Barrel is marked Sako and the stock has original Sako buttplate.

5. west35w

west35w Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    IMG_20160625_163443.jpg IMG_20160625_163553.jpg IMG_20160625_163613.jpg IMG_20160625_163620.jpg IMG_20160625_163658.jpg IMG_20160625_163717.jpg IMG_20160625_163722.jpg

Hi all, attached some photos hope the quality is good enough. All I know about the history of the rifle was that it was brought into Aus. by a fella in Queensland from the UK. cheers

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your Sako-Mauser's stock definitely has all of the characteristics of a factory Sako stock from that period (right checkering pattern, buttplate, stock crossbolt). The schnabel is one which I've not seen, but I'd say that it is original. The proof marks look British to me, so I'd guess it came to Australia via GB. The best I can tell from the appearance of the bolt shroud it has no wing safety, so it would be a later one after the Sako #4 trigger was adapted to the FN Mauser action.

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've never quite seen anything like that rifle!!! I'm sure it will generate a lot of head scratching & speculation. Looks like it could be a Sako built rifle on a FN Mauser action. I assume the barrel markings on the left side are SAKO & the serial number. The right side barrel markings are unique. I'm "guessing" the caliber, overall length, grains of cordite used & the weight of the bullet could be the proof load used by whoever tested it. I, also, don't recall seeing a Bofors stamp on a Sako Mauser before, but I've only looked at a few. The stock has a Sako "look" & butt plate, but that doesn't mean for certain it's factory. I have a L469 with a custom stock that I put a Sako butt plate & grip cap on that 70 years from now may cause the same uncertainty. Very unusual & interesting piece. I'll be curious as to what others here, more knowledgeable, have to say about it. Thanks for sharing the pics!

8. west35w

west35w Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Maybe the next thing to do is see if Sako has any record of this rifle. Its not perfect as it has a small crack in the forend and a chip in the butt but it's still a good looking rifle.

9. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Paul,

The other proof marks are London England. The hand with the mitre is the London proof mark symbol. This symbol has been stamped on pistols, rifles, & shotguns for many many years. Since the 1980's the last 2 digits of the year of proof have been stamped after the mitre.

Blackjack

10. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Guys, this site never ceases to amaze me. Almost every day I get to see very unique and fabulous Sako rifles and Sako variants. Many thanks to west35w for taking the time to share his wonderful rifle with us. It definitely looks unique and if it turns out to be all original that would be really something.

Many Thanks

rick

11. west35w

west35w Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Could the load stamped on the rh side of the barrel be the load for the open sights. The rear leaf sight which I believe had a fixed 100 metre and flip up 200 metre leaf was missing when I bought the rifle and if anyone knows where I could get hold it would be much appreciated as I would like to complete the rifle cheers Jason.

12. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Check Ebay. You just might get lucky

rick

13. Keith Lawrence

Keith Lawrence Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Nice rifle. I have one exactly the same however in .270 Win. About 10 years ago I also had one in 375 H&H -it was too much rifle for all but Buffaloes in the Northern Territory. Mine have micro-grove rifling and a full 24 inch barrel. It is one of a few rifles that tend to shoot different bullet weights to the same point of aim. Fitted a 2-7 Leupold 20 years ago and have never touched it since.

14. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    "Micro-Groove" rifling is a type of rifling exclusive to Marlin rifles & consists of 16 to 20 shallow grooves (depending on caliber). The rifling your rifles have was used by Sako for a short time & was not given a name by Sako or any exclusive advertising. It was 12 grooves, IIRC, and was the same depth as other conventional rifling. It is generally referred to as "multi-groove" rifling by Sako enthusiast to distinguish it from the more common rifling found on most Sakos & not to confused it with the proprietary Marlin "Micro-Groove" trademark. It was discontinued after a few years as it evidently offered no discernible advantage over barrels with fewer grooves & probably cost more to make. Just an FYI. Welcome to the club!!

douglastwo likes this.
  15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    To confuse things further, the Marlin-Sakos (Models 322 and 422) had true Micro-Groove barrels. So there is a Sako with a Micro-Groove barrel -- just not a barrel by Sako.

I own a Sako-Mauser in .30-06. It is a favorite of a friend of mine from Europe who has killed several Texas whitetails with it on his visits.

Glad to have you aboard, Keith!