Sako Green Paint Question

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by RaptorAddict, Dec 8, 2020.

1. RaptorAddict

RaptorAddict Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hi guys! This is my first post and I am amped to see a forum such as this one exists! Great to be here! Just bought my first Sako TRG which I waited patiently 12 years to get. All my cash saved back in the day went to a ring, so you know how it easy it was to just go get a TRG after that happened. LOL! So anyhow, I picked up a brand new TRG 22 in 6.5 Creedmoor with the Tan stock last month. My original want from back in the day was the Sako Green version. I have been debating on whether to repaint the stock as it just tears into factory integrity. But I have been looking at using Duracoat for it. Does anyone have any experience on how these finishes hold up on the TRG stocks? The last thing I want to do is ruin this long awaited top shelf rifle. I am an automotive painter by trade so prep and painting is easy for me, but I just don't have experience with using Duracoat, or painting firearms. Got a couple pics of my rifle posted as well. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Check out Brownell's. They have multiple type coatings specific to firearms. Aluma-Hyde II in an aerosol can is the one I have used. It's an epoxy based paint that withstands about any bore cleaner or solvent ever invented & is very durable. Comes in 12 colors & clear. Their O.D. Green may be what you are looking for. Shake the bejesus out of it before & during use & buy the extra spray & clean-out tips. Pre-heat stock with a hair dryer & blow hot air on it between coats for a few minutes. Apply about 4 very light coats and let cure at room temp for two weeks. It will cure in a few days at 100 degrees with air circulation. Don't let it dry between coats, as then you will have to wait till it is fully cured to apply another coat. I apply a clear coat over the colored coats. Whether that is beneficial or not I can't prove, but I feel it gives added protection against scratches. They also sell it in liquid form & a solvent/thinner for it, if you prefer to use your own spray equipment, in limited colors. Luckily, O.D. Green is one of them.

RaptorAddict likes this.
  3. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I am a custom painter, dealing with automotive, ceracoat, and duracote finishes. Duracote is no more durable than your high quality automotive finish.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    RaptorAddict likes this.
  4. RaptorAddict

RaptorAddict Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    That is great to know. I guess I'll try to mix Sako Green in PPG. Thanks for the advice!

James Matthews likes this.
  5. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    If you're using DBC, make sure you add a little of the clear hardner to your basecoat.

6. RaptorAddict

RaptorAddict Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Interesting. I am using Envirobase but for the clear I will be using Deltron's satin finish. Never thought to use the hardener in the basecoat. Have you done this with Envirobase?

7. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Use T493 5% by volume. No more. It will help with durability. The weakest link in any basecoat/clearcoat system is the bond between the two. Therefore, adding the T493 will help crosslink the two.

8. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Here is a little of what I do.

Attached Files:

tripledeuce likes this.
  9. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I love the detail and contrasts of your work James, but do you have an example to show us that is something not quite so gruesome in inspiration? Sakojim.

10. RaptorAddict

RaptorAddict Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Ahhh!!! You do custom painting! That explains your expertise. Very nice work! I own a collision shop and I’ve painted every car to pass through since 2904. Never knew about this added plus to the paint. I have 493 at the shop. I will definitely take your advice. Thanks for the help!

11. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana

Attached Files:

RaptorAddict and sakojim like this.
  12. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Breath taking beauty, loveliness and gorgeous! They display the intricate dedication that you have to your art James. Thank you. Sakojim.

13. James Matthews

James Matthews Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.

14. CerebralDistortion

CerebralDistortion Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    As you probably can see the original paint isn't the most durable/thick layer of paint.

If it was my rifle I would aim for a simple no top coat matte finish.

I can not help you with a colour code, but it is called "moss green".