Sako Forester L579 in .308

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Ian Deal, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ian Deal

Ian Deal Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello, I acquired my first firearm this year from my uncle, it is a Sake Forester L579 in .308, the wood runs all the way from the stock to the tip of the barrel. The serial number dates it back to 1965. The rifle is in good condition and shoots straight, I believe it is all original besides the scope and rifle sling. I am in the dark on this, can anyone estimate the worth of this rifle?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Without pictures & knowing more about it's condition, we are all "in the dark" as well. Value is based on a host of factors that are impossible to determine from your brief description. I think you will find most here hesitant to give "values" as that is a very subjective thing. If you peruse the forum section on Sako medium actions & threads specifically about the Mannlincher (full stock) configuration you may gain a better understanding of what you actually have & then be able to compare it to like or similar rifles that are for sale or have sold & be able to estimate it's market value for yourself. Guns America, Guns International & Gun Broker have rifles like your's listed all the time, but be sure you look at the "sold" prices, not the "asking" prices. Regardless, it's value isn't going to change your lifestyle or allow you to retire early. That it came from a family member makes it worth more to you than to others, I'm sure. Welcome to our forum. BTW, the forum section on Mannlinchers & carbines is a good place to look, as well.

3. Ian Deal

Ian Deal Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the information! My uncle actually thought that it might be worth something and recommended that I look into selling it. The rifle is currently at my hunting cabin, but I will be able to upload some pictures next week.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All rifles are worth "something"!! What yours is worth is dependent on condition, configuration, caliber, wood aesthetics, barrel stampings, length of barrel, location, phase of the moon, etc. etc. A L579 Mannlincher in 308 Win from the mid 1960's is a desirable Sakos if in mint condition. It's desirability & collectibility lessons as it's condition does. Even as a "shooter" type rifle it has good value. Close up pics of the barrel & action stampings & even the scope mounts will help members here identify & evaluate what you have.

Ian Deal likes this.
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Not sure where you got that information, but unless it came from the Sako Factory records it is at best a shaky guess. Sako serial numbers were not assigned in order (no one seems to know why). We've found consecutive serial numbers assigned to rifles which were built as much as ten years apart.

However, if your Mannlicher is from the mid-1960's then it is more desirable than some of the later full stock Sakos (in the opinion of most). But as Paulson indicates, condition is a much more important factor than vintage.

6. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I'm interested in seeing pics and possibly buying if you choose to sell rather than keep it. Let me know how and where you list it if you do decide to sell. If you decide to keep it (I would) this site offers history on your rifle for a reasonable fee. I obtained this for all of my Sakos that have this info available.

7. Paul B.

Paul B. Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    @Ian Deal , does your sako mannlicher have a barrel band or, is the forearm one, interrupted, piece? Would love to see pictures, etc. as others have already stated. Thanks!

8. Ian Deal

Ian Deal Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Hello, I got my gun back today and took some pictures. Here you go.

Attached Files:

deergoose likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    What's the barrel length? Is it a 19" carbine or a 23.5" rifle?

10. Ian Deal

Ian Deal Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    19” carbine.