Sako Sako Forester L579 .308 1960 production

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by bushpilotmexico, Dec 10, 2019.

1. bushpilotmexico

bushpilotmexico Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Just joined your club. This photo is of my L579 serial number 12621. I have owned the rifle for several years. I know the recoil pad isn't factory but recently someone told me the stock isn't factory as well? Any yeas or nays would be appreciated. The cap on the pistol grip is just plain Jane with no design or logo.

20191209_114918.jpg 20191208_151927.jpg 20191209_114958.jpg 20191208_151608.jpg 20191209_114944.jpg

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Id say its a custom stock with an attempt at some Sako traits, like the cheek piece, and an attempt of the checkering on the fore stock. The fore tip and grip cap also say custom. The bottom metal is not properly fitted as it’s inserted too deep (below the wood line) to be factory original. Nice figured wood in the butt stock. Not knocking it just giving my honest opinion.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your customized Sako L579 also has an aftermarket trigger. 1960 would be a good guess as to its production date (judging from the floorplate release), but Sako serial numbers were not used in chronological order, so the only way to know its exact date of production would be to order the factory records.

4. bushpilotmexico

bushpilotmexico Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Your replies are much appreciated. Yes the trigger is a Timney as I installed it my self as well as replacing the action screws to hex (Allen) for easier removal. I have the original Sako trigger and action screws. For its age the bluing, I think, is exceptional and it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around why the original stock may have been replaced. If the original had been beaten to death, so to speak, one would think that it would also have been reflected in the hardware, action barrel, etc?

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    It’s possible the original was broken and then not a candidate for a repair. Obviously speculation on my part. This might explain why the bluing is still in very good condition, however, I’ve seen plenty of beat up stocks and not much damage or wear to bluing.

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Barreled actions were available from Sako and many were sold for custom stocking. My best guess is that you have one of those.

7. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Interesting, I always knew actions in the white were made available for customs, I didn’t realize (already blued?) barreled actions were also made available. See you can learn something new everyday. Thanks.

8. bushpilotmexico

bushpilotmexico Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    But it makes one wonder, unless the original stock was trashed somehow, why would a person bother barreling an action with a custom stock? Unless the stock would have been the nicest piece of wood possible which it appears mine is not.

In my years of bench rest shooting it wasn't unusual for me to buy just a barrel action and spend the money on a McMillan custom stock and a Jewel trigger.

With one leg in the old age home at 79 years old I am thinning out my firearms and now suppose my Sako would be of little or no interest to a Sako collector. I used it for years at a local 1000 meter "Hunter Class' competition and never failed to bring home a trophy. As factory as it is it's one of the most accurate "out of the box" rifles I have ever shot. Clover leafs at 100 yards.

9. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    While it may not be highly collectible, your Bofors marked Sako will still be of interest to a lot of folks as a shooter/hunting rifle, if and when you decide to part with it. Trust me, if you price it accordingly you’ll have no problem finding someone to purchase it. Take care.

10. bushpilotmexico

bushpilotmexico Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia

Canadian dollars at the moment are worth about 75 cents US. If you have a ballpark figure for an asking price perhaps you could send me a PM rather than posting it?

11. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    My old eyes my be deceiving me, but is that a heavy varmint barrel?

12. bushpilotmexico

bushpilotmexico Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Yes sir I would say it is, it measures 3/4" at the muzzle and never came with either a rear or front sight.

13. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, the Sako barreled actions were completely blued, as were their earlier actions-only. It was much later, probably starting with the A-series, that the actions were shipped in-the-white.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  14. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    If you would like to restore this to an original configuration, check Ebay from time to time. You might get lucky and pick up an original trigger and stock for it. They do show up there every so often and the prices are usually fairly reasonable.

rick

15. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    There is an original L579 posted on Ebay as we speak. It is for a heavy and looks to be in fairly decent shape. The seller is accepting offers so If you want one this one looks like a pretty good candidate.

Hope this helps.

rick

16. kim keen

kim keen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
  17. kim keen

kim keen Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    that is a beautiful gun do you know where you can find extra magazines for that gun

18. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Lovers,
    I have a 1970 L579 HB stock which has been customised to a very high standard here in the UK. The stock has some lovely figure and colour. A shadow line around the cheek piece, re - chequered to 26 lines per inch by Alan Wey a chequerer to the London Gun Makers - e g James Purdey, Boss & Co., William Evans - etc etc. The recoil pin was engraved by Shaun Banks { Westley Richards } and re - blacked. The stock would need a new grip - cap. Finally the stock was English oil finished. Originally the HB stock came off a .308 Win. rifle.
    All I would like for the L579 HB stock is a L461 " Deluxe " Sporter { Not HB } stock. So a swop or exchange!
    Blackjack