• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako/FN Mauser .375 H&H feeding problems

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Gotograss

First post but I've been watching for a little while. Thanks for all the shared info here!

I have an early 50's Sako barreled FN Mauser in .375 H&H. It's a straight shooter but when I cycle the bolt smartly, the next cartridge on deck attempts to eject and only partially mounts on the bolt face. The third cartridge goes nose up like it's going to feed. It doesn't seem to ever happen if I slowly work the action. I happens with unfired live cartridges, snap caps, and empty casings. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

IMG_7358.JPG IMG_7357.JPG IMG_7356.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7355.JPG
    IMG_7355.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm no expert here, but wondering whether your rifle could be rechambered. Absent non-factory ammo, that condition you describe doesn't seem likely of original 375 H&H chambering unless "messed with". Either receiver feed rails, bolt-face or perhaps follower/spring supporting.
The large problem that in the sixty plus years since manufacture, opportunity often knocks and anxious Bubbas ever 'there' to accommodate right up to entire action swaps!
ORIGINALITY ID:
IF THE BOLT - is original, it should have an electro-penciled matching serial number on the body just forward as adjacent of the third locking lug.

BARRELS are well marked WITH SN included. My couple of Sako 98 FN based are in the 105K to 107K SN ranges and unmarked above stock of any nomenclature.

Apologies for generic answer, but if no help here or on You Tube perhaps, probably 'hands on' Smith duty.
Good Luck!
Best!
John

First post but I've been watching for a little while. Thanks for all the shared info here!

I have an early 50's Sako barreled FN Mauser in .375 H&H. It's a straight shooter but when I cycle the bolt smartly, the next cartridge on deck attempts to eject and only partially mounts on the bolt face. The third cartridge goes nose up like it's going to feed. It doesn't seem to ever happen if I slowly work the action. I happens with unfired live cartridges, snap caps, and empty casings. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

View attachment 29145 View attachment 29146 View attachment 29147

When you fire a 375 H&H round does the brass come out the same shape? My first thought was it has been rechambered, the feed rails have been modified, & the notch in the front action bridge is to allow an unfired 375 Weatherby Magnum round to be ejected. Did you do a chamber cast?

Thanks for all the great thinking around my problem! I’m pretty sure it’s all original and nothing seems buggered with. Everything shoots fine and the brass measures out normally.

Attachments

• 6CC9DDE1-A847-4B63-80AA-97B2D358E954.jpeg
    6CC9DDE1-A847-4B63-80AA-97B2D358E954.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 9A33BD6C-0918-40C2-9504-100CD9971E68.jpeg
    9A33BD6C-0918-40C2-9504-100CD9971E68.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for all the great thinking around my problem! I’m pretty sure it’s all original and nothing seems buggered with. Everything shoots fine and the brass measures out normally.

Here's a pic of my Sako Hi-Power follower. Notice how the upper left protrusion on the side of the follower is below the left feed rail. It looks like yours is coming up above the feed rail. Hard to tell for sure from the pic, but it is something that may be related to your feeding problems.

Sako Hi-Power follower.jpg

Does anyone know, is there a dimensional difference between the regular long action (8mm) follower and the magnum followers? Maybe mine was replaced with a “standard” follower at some point. Looks like Wisner makes a magnum follower but they don’t seem to be available anywhere. New England Custom Gun, as well, and they they are plenty proud of them. Any chance someone can measure a magnum follower for me? How tightly does it fit in the magazine box? No rush. Thanks!

The follower in my .300 H&H FN-Sako measures a hair under 3-1/8" OAL and about 5/8" wide at the nose. The rifle functions perfectly. The follower should be the same as on a .375. I'll take and post photos later today.

Back