Sako Finnwolf Sope Bases

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by marlin92, Jan 11, 2013.

1. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Could someone lend their knowledge on the current value of a like new set of Origional Sako VL63 scope bases.

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    I paid 57.00 for a set a little over one year ago. Haven't paid too much attention since then.-Misako

3. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks Misako - I appreciate it

4. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    57.00 sound light to me if you are selling. I don't follow the Finnwolf original bases market, but I'd expect those to be amongst the hardest of all Sako parts to find. When a magazine for the same rifle costs 300.00... Anyway, I have never seen Sako Finnwolf original bases for sale anywhere, but if I was buying a Finnwolf without them, I'd be trying to drive that price down much further than fifty bucks or so.

5. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Finnwolf Bases

I'm a little confused with the reply - I am trying to buy them from a good friend and do not want to take advantage of him , I want to either make him a fair offer or decline buying them if too much for me. I likewise would have thought they would be worth more because I had been looking for a set for several years and couldn't find them. So I wound up buying another Finn that had the mounts then selling my old finnwolf. So I don't need them right now but since they don't seem to be readily available figured I'd buy them and hold on to them in case another finnwolf comes along at a reasonable price but no bases. On one hand you say they are rare but on the othey talk about buying them for less than what Misako said their value was. So I guess a better question might be if you had them and wanted to sell them what would you ask for them. Thanks

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that the practical value of the original Finnwolf bases is somewhat limited due to the Finnwolf having a simple receiver with no dovetail on which bases from a number of manufacturers will fit. I've seen more Finnwolfs wearing Weaver or Redfield bases than Sako bases. Of course, you have to use the appropriate rings with the various bases, but nice, all-steel cross-lock Weaver-style rings are available from several manufacturers, as are Redfield-style turn-in rings.

On the other hand, if a collector is interested in keeping a rifle all-Sako, then the original Sako bases are worth whatever the (very thin) market will bear.

7. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Marlin92- Stonecreek brings up a good point about the bases for the Finnwolf. I have a set of Senior Mounts (Leupolds) that are real nice for one of my Finnwolfs. I believe I have less than $60 in the bases and the rings. I don't pay much attention to the mounts on the Finnwolf models effecting value. There are many brands available that were made for the Winchesters ( 88 and 100 ) and they all fit the FW. The can also be made easily ( into 2 piece) from the one piece base models.-Misako

8. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    And I'd say you're catching on here. Probably the easiest way to get a set of original Finnwolf bases would be to buy an entire Finnwolf. Has anybody else seen any Sako Finnwolf bases for sale lately? Now my Finnwolf happened to come with its original bases, which I agree with Stonecreek that from a practical standpoint, you could probably improve on the design, and aftermarket replacements will be far far easier to find. Likewise, my 'wolf has old style Sako low rings. It's all Sako. It looks cool as he**. Heck, the rings I bought just happened to have the same amount of plum as the receiver. But, frankly, I've always thought the setup had a few too many screws. All Leupold mounts would be a functional improvement, I'll bet you.

Anyway, my thinking is that humble as those parts really are, they'd bring at least a hundred in any well-controlled internet auction. I'm quite sure that if I were to see a set of like-new at a show for 57.00 cash, I'd snap them up as an investment. Hey, us Finnwolf snobs. A sub-cult within the Sako deal.

He's your friend. You know they're rare. 57.00 to 100.00 suggests a range to negotiate in.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys - I am the kind of guy that likes originality. So a while back I had a Finnwolf that had aftermarket bases and rings. Finding the rings was not an issue but I spent about 2 years trying to find a set of original bases and never did, then found another Finnwolf that had the bases at a good price so I bought it and sold the first Finnwolf after making sure there were no issues with the second one at the range. A friend of mine actually has the bases, he didn;t know what they were as he inherited them from an uncle(no gun). And I told him I would buy them but I want to give him a fair price for them or at least advise him on what he should ask for them, so that is the reason for the question. So I guess
    I will make him an offer and see what he says, figured I'd buy them in case another Finnwolf shows up without the bases, and the odds are pretty good. Thanks for all your input it is much appreciated.