Sako Finnbear Deluxe .30-/06 Value

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Paul7, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    I'm looking at a Finnbear Deluxe for a hunting rifle with wear dings/marks on the stock, good bore, Sako scope rings and leather strap for $995 + shipping. Any opinions from the experts?

2. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Not an expert here, but I'll chime in anyway. I'd need more info. Pictures, of course.

You should probably give us an idea of what era the rifle is from. Not knowing that, I would expect very good to excellent overall, with no worse than light scattered hunting marks and very little bluing loss. .30-06 is the common one. That matters. But, if it has a rare floor plate, or something else special, that matters, too.

What's the wood like? Blonde? Nice grain?

3. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    Blond, nice grain, but probably a little more beat up than appropriate from what you describe. Here it is: https://www.gunsamerica.com/925253160/Sako-Model-L61R-Rifle-30-0.htm The scope mounts seem awful low. The seller said the butt pad was hard also.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It has some "honest" use marks on the stock so you won't have to worry about "dinging" it. Considering what 30-06 Deluxes in nice shape sell for without a scope & mounts, less than a grand for that one with scope & mounts isn't excessive, as the scope & mounts would be worth in the $250 or so range. The recoil pad hardening/deterioration thing is common to them all from that era. Just put a good pad on it & go on. How it shoots is the real test of it's value. Stock can be refinished to look "pretty" again. Seems strange the seller didn't show a pic of the floorplate engraving. I'd request one.

5. Paul7

Paul7 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    He's not including the scope, just rings at my request. I have a Zeiss Conquest for whatever Finnbear I end up choosing.

6. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Hey, that looks pretty good. I'd take it for that price. The pad doesn't look bad at all.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That being the case I think you can do better, especially since the rings & mounts may not be high enough for your Zeiss. Check the OD of your scope & compare to the Leupy.