Sako Finnbear 25-06 Custom Stock and Trigger - What did I buy?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Montana1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Montana1

Montana1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Just picked up a used Finnbear 25-06. I think it has had the barrel shortened to 21.25" and has a custom stock much like the Deluxe model but without all the etchings etc. It just sat there in the local gun shop calling my name and since my 2 Forrester .243's and my Vixen .222mag were purchased new in the box I am not sure what I have. The serial number is 62293 so I think it is a early 70's circa but the previous owner seemed to have spent a lot of money on a custom stock and tricked out trigger mechanism. Took it to the range the other day and one I adjusted the scope it shoots very good groups about the size of a quarter at both 100 yards and 200 meters I will post a couple of pictures so I anyone knows anything about this gun I would greatly appreciate some input.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      829.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      830.6 KB
      Views:

2. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Looks like one of those Emma Creek stocks that are seen on Gunbroker regularly.

3. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Montana1- Wlcome to the Sako Collectors Club. I was just eyeballing your trigger and looks like it is a Canjar. That is a big plus. I think you can get that rifle to shoot a little better than your initial trip. The barrel shortening did you no great harm but it is a round known to like longer barrels to milk the best ballistics from it. I had a 25-06 for a while back in the eighties and it shot great. Traded out for a Sako .270 W and never looked back. Are there any barrel markings you can tell us about or show us?-Misako

4. Montana1

Montana1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Misako50-
    Only marks are the same as my other Sako Rifles - Finnbear made in Fidland on the side of the barrel and proof marks with the Sko 25-06 Caliber at the top of the bolt. Trigger Mech was easy to figure out it was like a set triger slight pull and you felt a click then the slightest movement got your bang.

5. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Montana- The Barrel may have been shortened due to a tiny little "popsickle" stuck in the muzzle. The resulting blast from firing will have a very profound effect on the future of the firearm's accuracy if it doesn't get cut off and recrowned. If that is all that may have happened, then that is good news. I have seen more serious results from that happening and the recoil can be real "intense" if you know what I mean. Can only guess what happened to the original stock. You should have a very handy rifle to hunt mule deer with so if you haven't looked, there is another thread about the 25-06 Bloo bought and you can get more information on that thread.-Misako

6. David Henzler

David Henzler Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Boy... you guys sure have some unique descriptions for abnormalities. Don't think I've ever seen a tiny little "popsickle" stuck in the muzzle of any rifles. WTF is a popsicle aside from a frozen treat on a stick. If I had purchased a rifle like this, it would be back on the shelves of the store that rooked me.

And my advice to Montana is to know what you are buying before you lay your cash down. Unless you bought it for an L61R action and paid $400 or so for it... well, you know what I mean. You can always build a nice rifle from a great action. As for Montana's comments about only having NIB Sako's then he should be even more expectant of used.

I was looking at some Remington 1100 shotguns and found one that had a "engine turned" bolt... I immediately thought wonder how scratched up it was before they went to all that cost to hide it. Likely a new bolt would have been cheaper and the resultant product easier to offload. You only have "original" once.

Please excuse me if I seem to be preaching, but in fine firearms there is only original condition. The remainder are 50% off, or the cost to replace the part.

Dave

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Welcome to the club, Montana. Looks like you bought a nice custom built gun on a Sako L61R barreled action. Stock looks more like a Fajen than an Emma Creek, but regardless it's nicely done. The Canjar trigger is a nice plus as Misako said. The shortened barrel will only cost you 150 fps or so, so I doubt the critter will know the difference & it will make it "handier" in some circumstances. Don't worry that it is not "original". Not everyone here is a purist collector & we enjoy having & seeing other "customs". Looks like it shoots great!!!

8. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    It is a nice looking rifle but it is a bit sad that a .25-06 was cut down. It is definatley a round that likes long barrels and .25-06 Sakos are a bit hard to find. It's anyone's guess why the previous owner choose to cut the barrel back. I bought a .30-06 Finnbear that a previous owner had cut back to the same length as yours. The work was beautifully done, and the rifle shot very well. I would think that with your barrel cut back you end up with a loud .257 Roberts. But that's just a guess, a Chrony will give a true answer.

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Forgot to mention yesterday that if you are not happy with the barrel length or the performance of the 25-06 you can always rebarrel to the length & caliber of your choice. Any of todays custom match grade barrels will be superior to your factory barrel (& Sakos have some of the best factory barrels made). New barrel = new gun. If you measured from the front of the action to the muzzle instead of from bolt face to muzzle then it is actually a 22" barrel, which is the standard for most rifles these days. Loss of velocity will be roughly 35-50 FPS/inch depending on powder & bullet used. So if you consider the barrel was originally 23 3/4" long your not losing all that much speed. I cut a 30-06 from 24" to 20" & only lost 150 fps.