• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Derivatives

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The Mountain Eagle did not use the L61 action. They were all modified L691's or a few L491's for the 223.

I am the new owner of a North America Arms Grizzley that was posted here before by another member. It has an L57 action and is chambered in .308. Here it is:

Last edited:
Heybert, are you in the U.S. or Canada? There are a few NA Grizzlies floating around in the U.S., but they were originally distributed in Canada. I saw a stock off of a Grizzly on ebay a couple of years ago, but that's the closest I've ever come to one.

I was just in a private discussion with another member about proprietary Sakos and we noted that between Colt, Ward, and N.A. that a significant percentage of the 10,000+ L57 actions ever manufactured must have been used in non-Sako rifles.

When I bought my Grizzly, I also bought a Forester in an L57 action. They were very similar to each other. The Grizzly had a slimmer stock.

Yes, stonecreek. I am partial to the L57 actions. Really neat action. So, Sako made roughly 10,100 L57 actions, and from what I've gathered over the years by talking to some of the Sako veterans from the SCA and looking over my own accumulated literature, about half of those actions never made it to the States, and for those that did, half of them were used in derivative rifles. Doing some quick math, that only gives us about 2500 or so true 57 Sako rifles that were imported to the USA.

So, finding a good clean factory original L57 Sako is a real treasure as we all have grown to learn as collectors.

DeerGoose

I just posted this Colt /Sako in another thread. I can find very little info such as number produced etc.
155435495.jpg

JR

Unlike Sako, which seems to have kept very poor records, Colt has a reputation for being meticulous in its record-keeping -- at least for firearms it produced itself. Whether Colt has records on guns it contracted from other producers and then marketed is another question. However, I think that Colt will supply a "factory letter" on any of its firearms for a fee. If you don't mind spending the money (last I was aware it was $50 or so) you might contact Colt asking if they can supply a factory letter on your rifle. These letters typically provide the date of manufacture and the wholesaler or dealer to whom it was shipped.

Back