• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Deluxe in 264 Win mag...Dark wood?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks for the reply and advice. I've been crazy about Sako's ever since my Dad bought a new 243 Deluxe in about 1965 and let all 4 of his sons hunt with it......we banged it up pretty bad. But you know what, it's one of the few to have a good recoil pad and my younger brother is still hunting with it. Lucky devil. He also got my Dad's Golden Anniversary when Mom passed out his guns after he died. But that was ok because I bought a GA in 1971 for $550, threw the box away, put a scope on it, and have hunted it ever since....it's pretty beat up too. So I started looking for bofors marked Deluxes and after about 20 years I managed to get all 16 that are listed in the north America catalogs. I'll send a picture when I get a good one.

Doug,
Here it is:
I'm really glad to know that.

Attachments

• DSCN3043.JPG
    DSCN3043.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3045.JPG
    DSCN3045.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
S-A -

I did notice that, and I'm not positive exactly what that is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a crossbolt. Maybe repair of a wormhole or small knot? Dunno. Dick

Actually guys, I didn't exactly didn't tell the truth. 16 guns is counting the 25-06 and of course my Deluxe 25-06 at serial # 561xx is not marked bofors....none of them are. Sorry about that.

Dick, The placement is too perfect right behind the floor plate/tang screw. With a magnifying glass it sure looks doweled to me. Well, It certainly is not going to stop me from shooting it. My scope will be here Monday. I'll post the Finnished product! Another question to Finland, looks like.
Thanks, Dick
S-A

I guess that wood plug could be the repair of a defect, but including mine, I seen at least a dozen 375's with that wood plug. If you look closely, it's right behind the back screw, so it should be there to absorb recoil. Any other ideas what it is or why it's there??

I think it's there to provide the "last resort" and for support. With the .375 and the three lug, I feel more comfortable with as many things that are in front of my face to slow down what's coming at me. It does appear that it does not go all the way through, so I suspect it is a support dowel and they didn't break the finish on the other side so the dowel would not go through the complete stock. Did the one's you saw have them all on the bolt side? It's just aligned perfectly with that rear bolt. So, the sleeve on that bolt could also be a factor that plays into this as well as just a spacer around that bolt.
S-A

I think I would have sent the stock back and been mad as a little wet hen. Amazing what a person can learn on this forum. -Mike S-A-- That sleeve is called a ferrule.
t.gif

I've just looked at my 375 and the wooden plug goes all the way through the stock. It's actually harder to see on the bolt side. As far as the others I've seen but not owned, I do not remember noticing if you could see the plug on both sides of the stock. But I can definitely remember seeing the plug, I just didn't pay any attention to see if it was noticeable both sides.

BTW, I just measured the diameter of the plug on both sides of the stock, and it's 3/8" in diameter, as close as you get with a tape measure.

Mike, thanks for that bit of nomenclature. Dick had me thinking we had a bunch of precision alien worms that invaded the factory from outer space and had a weird wood fetish :bigsmile3:
Doug, I'm sure it's a metric measurement, but that's close enough for government work. I'll look on the other side tomorrow. It's probably there but my eyes aren't as good as they used to was and it must blend more. My first impression was the ferrule (there, I'm using it already!) I saw was a stain. Anyway, I'm really glad I know all of this, now.
Thanks again to you both. That's what this forum is all about!
S-A

Doug, I'm sure it's a metric measurement, but that's close enough for
government work. I'll look on the other side tomorrow. It's probably
there but my eyes aren't as good as they used to was and it must blend
more. My first impression was the ferrule (there, I'm using it
already!) I saw was a stain. Anyway, I'm really glad I know all of
this, now.
Thanks again to you both. That's what this forum is all about!
S-A

S-A--- The ferrule is the sleve around the rear stock screw. A large number of Sako stocks have it. The Dowel or plug or whatever is just brand new news to me,and it makes sense. Now what I said earlier about sending it back---all true without this enlightenment.(I also saw that spot on an earlier picture of yours, so I knew what he was talking about instantly)- Mike

Mike,
Ahhh! Remember, I'm a Finn. It usually takes three explanations and a two by four to get the point home! The ferrule, then, I think serves additional function by it's width with which to disperse direct pressure against the dowel as well as keeping that bolt alignment from the trigger guard to the receiver.
I think I better watch Jay Leno now!
S-A

Mike, Douglastwo,
The morning light has indeed revealed the other side of the dowel. The wood is a better match, or just doesn't have a darker color like the bolt side. Maybe from adhesive? So, I'm a believer. Cant see any other reason a dowel would be there except for a cross bolt of sorts. We all know the trigger mechanism would prevent one in the same place as that of the newer models. I can live with it :bigsmile3:
S-A

Wow...there were a lot of posts yesterday. Thanks for sharing, great information.

It has now sunk in that I indeed found a rare Sako Deluxe in .264Win Mag. I put my order into Graf & Sons for some ammo...paper results will follow.

I think I will go back to my Gun shop and ask if the seller might have the box for that Sako. Additionally I will tell them to keep their eyes open for those Pre-Garcias!

Glenn

I have a Garcia Deluxe Sako that had a glossy finish. The operative word is "had". A fellow once ask me if it was an oil rubbed stock it is so worn. The gun was originally glossy but turned milky then after years of wear, looks oil rubbed. This particular rifle has seen lots of frosty mornings and cold sunsets and just maybe the finish and checkering needs some rehab. I had the gun reblued after sliding down a shale slide during an elk hunt but never spent the money to have the stock worked on.

strapman,
Find the thread called (removing)"Recoil Pad". The thread at some point goes into stock finishing using Tung oil, or a derivative for good glossy stock refinishing. I think you will find information there that will hep you.
S-A

Back