Sako Custom Forester?

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by Guest, May 6, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

o I received a rifle built on a Sako L579 action No. 84xxx, chambered in .308 Win (engraved on barrel). The octagonal barrel is also engraved with the owner's name "Made for ...." The stock is beutiful Walnut quite well figured with Fleur de Lys checkering on forend and grip, and raised cheekpiece. It has a checkered steel but plate and checkered steel grip cap. Other than the proof marks there is little else identifying the gun. Were foresters made with octagonal barrels or such stocks? It is no the usual Monte Carlo...

Any informatin, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    vonwotan

2. Guest

Guest Banned

Definitely a full custom rifle. AFAIK the Sako factory never used octagon barrels or fleur-de-lis checkering. Almost certainly U.S. made. Sounds like a rather expensive item, possibly by one of the well-known custom gunmakers. Knowing who built it might enhance the value. Some custom builders signed their work in the barrel channel, if the maker's name is not engraved in some visible place on the metal. Sounds like a neat item, how about posting a picture in the Photo Album?

3. Guest

Guest Banned

I'll try to get a photo of the gun itself. If not perhaps I can scan in one of the photos from our last hunitng trip. Do you think it is possible the gunsmith signed the barrel underneath - where it sits in the forend? or elsewhere? The gentleman's wife did not remember who made the rifle, he had an extensive collection of double rifles, english best doubles and drillings, as well as several custom rifles. He even had old films (being preserved by our club in LI) of his years of hunting dangerous game in Africa... It is possible this gun was not US made, although it was one of his newer guns, so US maker is likely.

Thanks again,
    vonwotan