sako buying help

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by rifle_starter, Nov 9, 2014.

1. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    My dad I have been doing quite a bit of target shooting. Nothing too far just 100 yards. Been looking at different rifles Savages, Kimbers, Remingtons etc. I decided I wanted to spend a little extra and get a nice gun with a wood stock. For some reason I just like the classic look better. I've been looking at the Model 85 Varmint .223 with the walnut stock. Do you think this would be a very good gun for bench shooting? Would the stainless version shoot any differently?

2. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As long as your just shooting for grins it will be fine....until some kid with a Rem or Savage with a custom barrel shows up. Bottomline there is not a factory rifle made that will be competitive with a well constructed custom. Upside is the sako will have a better resale. In 500yd fun shoots I always see a couple guys show up with 2000.00 sako 85's, AICS, and Blasers just to slink away. If you want a 85 for recreational shooting it will be fine.

3. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Some good advice there,
    If you want accuracy than i have seen good results with Howa and Savage.
    Not saying the Sako is not as good or better, just not the best application.
    I have alot of Sako's I shoot, and the smallest groups come from the ones with Custom barrels.
    If you are really keen for small bugholes, than jump on BR central or 6BR and you can pick up a Custom Rem 700, BR rifle.
    L-46

4. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like a lot of people like the Savages. I was originally looking at the Savage 12 BTCSS. My dad has a Savage (12 VLP DBM) gun and a couple Anschutz. The Savage is nice, but the Anschutz are a piece of art. Cmjr you make a good point about resale value. That's what kind of shied me away from the Savages. My dad told me, "Always try to buy a little nicer if you can. Because those are the guns that will go up in value more.". Not sure how true that is exactly.

5. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Listen to your Dad, I would climb over a pile of free Savages to buy a Sako. I have one, and have owned several Savages. They are just on opposite ends of the quality spectrum's. I still have a problem with that ugly clutch pedal safety they have.

6. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Much of your decision is personal preference, but for me it would be a minty Forester Heavy Barrel in .243. A good Sako, whether new or used, will not be inexpensive, but you will enjoy that rifle long after you have forgotten what you paid for it. An alternative worth mentioning would be an old wood-stocked Remington 700 BDL Varmint. They do have a devoted following, but will still cost less than the Sako. And every single one I have ever seen shot, has done so nicely.

7. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
  8. cmjr

cmjr Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I would say no, their ad is the only one that mentions set trigger. Several advertisers are running sale ads on that rile, some a little cheaper, 1928.00. I would call them and let them know if it shows up with no set trigger it's coming back. I do know the set trigger is an option and maybe that model can be ordered with it but with so many dealers advertising that rifle I doubt they come with it. This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

9. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Cmjr I think you're probably right. I have a feeling it comes with no set trigger.

10. ColColt

ColColt Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    If I was looking for a good bench rifle you can do no better than an L461(Vixen with heavy barrel/beaver tail in .222.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    [​IMG] Probably the most accurate of Sakos, are the 22 and 6PPC-BR models. Here's a pic of my 22PPC-BR.

12. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    What Kevin said. A single shot PPC would be the bomb.

13. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  14. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    • Well guys I went with the Sako. I wanted something a little different than a Savage or a Remington. Not that they are bad. Just wanted something a little different. Do you guys have any scope setup recommendations? I've seen people talk about ejection issues with casings. So are there any ring mounts I should stay away from?

15. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    So what did you pick up? Is it the 85 HB in .223???

In reference to scope recommendations, it depends on what you are going to do with it. Punching paper at 100 yards can be handled by just about any scope out there. Now if you want to use the gun for what it is designed for (longer distance shooting), I would go with a 6.5-20x44 or larger magnification. I would also not skimp on the scope that you buy. You can easily spend as much on the scope as you did with the gun. However, leupold has a few offerings in the $700 range that would work great for most. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion but I have learned that optics do make a difference.

16. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Scope choice is really a matter of your intended use & personal preferences. My experience has been mainly shooting colony varmints like prairie dogs & ground squirrels & I have found that anything over 12X is superfluous & even disadvantageous at times. Heat mirage, humidity, dust, & wind can combine to give you a blurry & unusable image at powers approaching 20X. Yes, under the right conditions, which occur about 20% of the time in my experience, powers near 20 can allow for a more precise aim, but that doesn't necessarily translate into more "hits". I can shoot these critters @ up to 500 yards with a 12X. Your 223 Rem would be hard press to "effectively" reach that yardage anyway. The other thing is that those large bulbous variables with big objectives are out of place & balance with the small action Sakos, IMHO. Look for a used M8 model 12x fixed or a used VX-II 4-12x & spend 50% what a new one cost & still have the lifetime Leupold warranty. Whatever you decide buy the best quality you can afford. Cheap optics are not good & good optics are not cheap is the rule I use.

17. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I bought the 85 laminate stainless barrel .223
    I was looking at wood pretty seriously but thought the laminate might hold up better for me. Kicked around getting a 204 but the 223 is much easier to buy in stores around here.

Are the Zeiss scopes supposed to be pretty good? I saw the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50

18. rifle_starter

rifle_starter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks for the input paulsonconstruction. I didn't see this until I replied to emmerth.

19. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    rifle_starter, the Zeiss HD5 is an awesome scope. I have one the Rapid-Z 1000 on my Armalite AR-50. Optics are extremely clear and bright. For the money, it is a good deal.