• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako bashing?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That’s good to know. S-size is exactly what I’m looking at.

I never would have thought. If I had to guess, I would have thought Beretta or FN.
You are correct! Beretta owns Sako as well as multiple other Brands & is a multi-national company. FN Herstal owns many Brands as well & markets on a world wide basis. Both companies sell pistols, rifles, & shotguns & their production & sales dwarf Sako's limited production. Beretta is the oldest & largest small arms company in the world by leaps & bounds. Sako may have the largest individual production plant, but I have no way of confirming that.

Huh? The 85s come in several different action sizes.

??

I agree about the feel of the Hunter stock on my AV. Great! I've only taken it out hunting in the original stock twice, though; too pretty (in my mind) to damage.... so now it sits in a McMillan SAKO Classic. Wish I didn't feel that way about it, but there ya go...

-Chris
There is a difference between an action "scaled" to a cartridge size & an action made to different lengths only. The L & A series were different diameters & had different diameter bolts as well as lengths. The 91 series introduced in 1992 had different lengths only. I have never measured a 75 or 85 but I suspect they are all the same diameter for all the "sizes", which is what gowyo was referring to when he said "last of the scaled actions". Perhaps a member here could measure & confirm.

There is a difference between an action "scaled" to a cartridge size & an action made to different lengths only. The L & A series were different diameters & had different diameter bolts as well as lengths.

Ah. Didn't know that.

Back when I first asked here about my AV and the idea of rechambering, I thought I understood the (AV) length was standard, the bolts might change, cross-bolts might be added, but the receiver diameter was a standard across all chambered cartridges from the .25-'06 (or whatever) up through the .416s (or whatever).

And the other A-series receivers were shorter, but otherwise similar...

-Chris

Ah. Didn't know that.

Back when I first asked here about my AV and the idea of rechambering, I thought I understood the (AV) length was standard, the bolts might change, cross-bolts might be added, but the receiver diameter was a standard across all chambered cartridges from the .25-'06 (or whatever) up through the .416s (or whatever).

And the other A-series receivers were shorter, but otherwise similar...

-Chris
The AV (L61R) length is the same regardless of cartridge as is the diameter of the action & bolt. The boltface will change depending on whether it is chambered in a magnum round or not. The short AI (L461) & the medium length AII (L579) have proportionally smaller action & bolt diameters. The boltface for the AII will be for the 22-250, 243, 308, etc size case heads. The boltface for the AI will be for the .378" size case heads, except for the AI's chambered in the PPC rounds.

Ummm... I must be obtuse, today...

So all of the AV receivers are the same size, regardless of chambering. Similarly, all of the AI receivers, ditto, and all of the AII receivers, another ditto.

Yes?

I thought everyone did that, not just SAKO.

There is a difference between an action "scaled" to a cartridge size & an action made to different lengths only.

This was maybe the part that threw me. Thought you meant scaling within action lengths, as in different diameters of AVs for examples.

Perhaps the early premise that I questioned is that only (or mostly only) SAKO scaled down with width (diameter) of their smaller action lengths, too?

If so, I didn't know that either... I thought pretty much everyone did that. That said, I haven't really actually held many (or any?) similar rifles (brands) that only differed in action length/chambering...

-Chris

Sako L- and A-series actions differed in both length and diameter, with the L61R/A-V being the longest and largest (although it was identical except for bolt face diameter between magnum and standard cartridges) and had about a 3.6" magazine. The L579/A-II was shorter and smaller in diameter, with a 2.8" magazine. The L461/A-I was shorter and smaller still, with a magazine length of about 2.35" or so.

When Sako switched to the L691/M591/S491 series action lengths were different, but diameters were all the same as the large L691. Sako admitted that this was for manufacturing expediency. The negative result was that the shorter two actions gained unnecessary bulk.

You are correct! Beretta owns Sako as well as multiple other Brands & is a multi-national company. FN Herstal owns many Brands as well & markets on a world wide basis. Both companies sell pistols, rifles, & shotguns & their production & sales dwarf Sako's limited production. Beretta is the oldest & largest small arms company in the world by leaps & bounds. Sako may have the largest individual production plant, but I have no way of confirming that.
Ah. I misremembered a certain headline. I looked it up again and the wording said the largest rifle manufacturer in Europe. Not as impressive.

Sako L- and A-series actions differed in both length and diameter, with the L61R/A-V being the longest and largest (although it was identical except for bolt face diameter between magnum and standard cartridges) and had about a 3.6" magazine. The L579/A-II was shorter and smaller in diameter, with a 2.8" magazine. The L461/A-I was shorter and smaller still, with a magazine length of about 2.35" or so.

When Sako switched to the L691/M591/S491 series action lengths were different, but diameters were all the same as the large L691. Sako admitted that this was for manufacturing expediency. The negative result was that the shorter two actions gained unnecessary bulk.

Thanks, Stone, think I got it now. Useful info.

-Chris

Perhaps sporting rifle manufacturer is more accurate. FN, Sig, and Beretta all make military arms in large quantities. CZ also makes a lot of sporting rifles and probably outsells Sako in the U.S., so my guess, absent other information, would put its volume above Sako.

Latest posts

Back