Sako bashing?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Makoman, Sep 15, 2020.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You are correct! Beretta owns Sako as well as multiple other Brands & is a multi-national company. FN Herstal owns many Brands as well & markets on a world wide basis. Both companies sell pistols, rifles, & shotguns & their production & sales dwarf Sako's limited production. Beretta is the oldest & largest small arms company in the world by leaps & bounds. Sako may have the largest individual production plant, but I have no way of confirming that.

2. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There is a difference between an action "scaled" to a cartridge size & an action made to different lengths only. The L & A series were different diameters & had different diameter bolts as well as lengths. The 91 series introduced in 1992 had different lengths only. I have never measured a 75 or 85 but I suspect they are all the same diameter for all the "sizes", which is what gowyo was referring to when he said "last of the scaled actions". Perhaps a member here could measure & confirm.

3. RangerAV

RangerAV Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland

Ah. Didn't know that.

Back when I first asked here about my AV and the idea of rechambering, I thought I understood the (AV) length was standard, the bolts might change, cross-bolts might be added, but the receiver diameter was a standard across all chambered cartridges from the .25-'06 (or whatever) up through the .416s (or whatever).

And the other A-series receivers were shorter, but otherwise similar...

-Chris

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The AV (L61R) length is the same regardless of cartridge as is the diameter of the action & bolt. The boltface will change depending on whether it is chambered in a magnum round or not. The short AI (L461) & the medium length AII (L579) have proportionally smaller action & bolt diameters. The boltface for the AII will be for the 22-250, 243, 308, etc size case heads. The boltface for the AI will be for the .378" size case heads, except for the AI's chambered in the PPC rounds.

5. RangerAV

RangerAV Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    Ummm... I must be obtuse, today...

So all of the AV receivers are the same size, regardless of chambering. Similarly, all of the AI receivers, ditto, and all of the AII receivers, another ditto.

Yes?

I thought everyone did that, not just SAKO.

This was maybe the part that threw me. Thought you meant scaling within action lengths, as in different diameters of AVs for examples.

Perhaps the early premise that I questioned is that only (or mostly only) SAKO scaled down with width (diameter) of their smaller action lengths, too?

If so, I didn't know that either... I thought pretty much everyone did that. That said, I haven't really actually held many (or any?) similar rifles (brands) that only differed in action length/chambering...

-Chris

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako L- and A-series actions differed in both length and diameter, with the L61R/A-V being the longest and largest (although it was identical except for bolt face diameter between magnum and standard cartridges) and had about a 3.6" magazine. The L579/A-II was shorter and smaller in diameter, with a 2.8" magazine. The L461/A-I was shorter and smaller still, with a magazine length of about 2.35" or so.

When Sako switched to the L691/M591/S491 series action lengths were different, but diameters were all the same as the large L691. Sako admitted that this was for manufacturing expediency. The negative result was that the shorter two actions gained unnecessary bulk.

7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Ah. I misremembered a certain headline. I looked it up again and the wording said the largest rifle manufacturer in Europe. Not as impressive.

8. RangerAV

RangerAV Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland

Thanks, Stone, think I got it now. Useful info.

-Chris

9. Makoman

Makoman Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    That makes more sense.

10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Perhaps sporting rifle manufacturer is more accurate. FN, Sig, and Beretta all make military arms in large quantities. CZ also makes a lot of sporting rifles and probably outsells Sako in the U.S., so my guess, absent other information, would put its volume above Sako.