Sako Barrels

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Goaksy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Goaksy

Goaksy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Hello Guys,

I am looking for a barrel for my M995 7mm rem mag .... If someone has another barrel that will fit the M995 receiver that would be great too.

Note: The person I got my old barrel from said it came off a Sako 75. Is the Sako 75 barrels smaller than the M995 barrels and do the Sako 75 barrels use standard threads instead of metric? This barrel has 16 threads per inch.

Thanks,

-Ed

2. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Yes the 75 thread is smaller than on the M995. M995 uses the same thread as TRG rifles.

3. Goaksy

Goaksy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Yes, but it is a standard thread on this barrel instead of a metric. This indicates that these barrels are either made in the U. S. or the plant in Finland has changed their process to us standard threads when making the barrel. I would have thought a smaller thread, but still metric.

Is it still possible to get an M995 barrel from Finland? I want to fix the mess someone did to a nice rifle.

Thanks,

-Ed

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Why do you assume Sako used metric threads for their barrels? All the L & A series Sakos I've been around had standard 16 TPI US type threads, so I assume the 75 did as well. Of course they came in different diameters depending on action size. How can you "fix the mess" with a barrel threaded differently than your action? The threads on your action haven't change since it left the factory, so that's the thread you need & what the original barrel was threaded for. The 75 barrels varied in diameter depending on the action size. I'm guessing one off of a 75 V action size will probably be the same size & thread as your M995 in 7mm Mag. Measuring your action threads would tell. Your doing this the hard way. Even if you found a used Sako take-off barrel with the right diameter & threads it would still need to be indexed & headspaced to your action, which is not much different than installing a new barrel. This requires machine work by a qualified gunsmith. What if the contour doesn't match your stock channel? Installing a 75 barrel on a M995 is not my idea of a good "fix". It would be much simpler & easier to have a quality barrel maker like Pac-Nor, Shilen, Kreiger, Lilja, Hart or a host of others install a barrel of your liking & specifications, not to mention quicker & with a warrantee. Barrels are consumables & can be replaced at will or when they wear out. Best of luck whatever you decide.

5. Goaksy

Goaksy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Okay, first off I am not trying to install a 75 on my gun, I did not realize it was a 75 when I took the barrel. I found out the Sako did use all metric for their barrels until the 75 or there about when they went to standard threads. I am not sure how old your Sako's are, but all of mine use a metric threads. The reason I would expect metric is because I did not realize Sako changed the threading on their barrels to standard. So no, none of the 75 or later will work on the M995, which is a far better rifle than the 75 or anything after. Matter of fact, the M995 (TRGS) is a thicker barrel than most and only their barrels will fit or maybe the TRG. I don't know the entire story, but I will as I am emailing the folks in Finland to understand. I understand about head spacing and the process it takes to measure and install a barrel properly and I have a friend with a lath that can do this for me. I would never put an aftermarket barrel on one of my Sako's. Old Sako barrels are not consumables in that they can be replaced by third party products. After doing this, you no longer have an original Sako. Your end product may be something that shoots well, and is something that you enjoy, and that is what it is about, something that one enjoys. Me, I believe in OEM.

Thanks,

-Ed

6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Let us know how that email to Finland works out for you.

7. Goaksy

Goaksy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Hello,

I did get a reply. The threads changed after the L61R. I did not ask why, but I can only assume that the Sako actions were desired and as a result they changed the threads so that others could match up their barrels. Just a guess on my part though.

Thanks,

-Ed

8. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Barrels are threaded to match whatever action is being used not threaded in advance, so there was no reason or incentive for Sako to change their thread specs to match aftermarket barrels that are unthreaded to start with. Whatever the reason for the change it was probably internal & not connected to someone else's barrels.

9. Goaksy

Goaksy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    The barrel threads were changed because the action threads were changed so that the Sako actions could accept other barrels. Sako actions are sought after when making modifying rifles. This opens the doors for additional barrels by other manufactures. My thoughts...

Thanks,

-Ed

10. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I know of no barrel makers that thread a barrel prior to knowing what action it is for. Barrel makers don't "pre-thread" barrels in the hopes of matching any particular action. They will pre-thread a barrel only after you give them the thread specs & pay for it. Changing the thread didn't "open the doors" for additional barrels as ANY barrel by ANY maker could be fitted to ANY Sako regardless of what the action thread was anyway. Check some of the barrel maker sites out to get an understanding of the process of rebarreling a rifle.