Sako barrel swap?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Badwolf, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Badwolf

Badwolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I have a Sako m591 action and would like to know what the barrel threads are. Would a model 85 barrel fit.the 85 is 1" 16tpi?

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I'm going nuts with four barrels that are supposed to fit my L579 receiver. All are Bofors. Film at 11.

rick

3. Spotshooter

Spotshooter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    If you swap or pull a barrel either have the smith measure it (they will anyway) or measure it yourself...

Measure the outside diameter of the threads, and then use a thread guage to get a good thread count.
    PLUS measure the tenon depth (the shoulder to the bottom of the threaded part).

These are the 3 key measure you need...

4. Badwolf

Badwolf Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I don't have a barrel, I just have an action. A guy has a barrel from a model 85 and I'm trying to find out if it will fit.

5. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    It is the same attachment thread, but there is always an uncertainty with a barrel that has already once been torqued on to another receiver. Sako barrels are often tightened to such high torque that the shoulder on the barrel gets permanently compressed. This means when torquing it on another receiver the headspace might go way too tight before the shoulder catches. If you have access to headspace gauges, then it doesn't hurt to try.

6. Spotshooter

Spotshooter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kansas
    It’s good to check the action should / barrel shoulder squareness as well, and bolt lug to action fitting as well and tweak accordingly. Lug’s can usually be touched up to get there without pushing headspace tolerances out, touching the shoulders however to square the action / barrel can easily screw things up.

Sako actions are typically very very square so that shouldn’t be an issue... but I check them anyway.

Always, always headspace check...