Sako AV or Finnbear Deluxe??

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Hunter Pickard, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Hunter Pickard

Hunter Pickard Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I am currently trying to figure out what kind of sako rifle i have on my hands. I am confused as to what model it is and also i am curious as to the age and any other info i can get on it.
    On the side of the barrel it says SAKO CAL.7MM REM.MAG MADE IN FINLAND and just under the scope opposite of the action has SAKO AV 603828 Which is the serial number but this is the only markings on the gun. My confusion comes from someone told me it was a Finnbear Deluxe and i dont see it anywhere on the rifle so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The gun also has a Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x 56mm with Burris rings and bases, if you also have any info on the value on the scope this would also be helpful.
    You can email me at hunterp77@hotmail.com or give me a call or text at (409)-988-4719. Thanks for looking.

sako 5.jpg sako 4.jpg sako 3.jpg sako 2.jpg sako 1.jpg sako 6.jpg

Paul McIntosh likes this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, you have a Sako A-V Deluxe. It is the later model with the "Hunter"-style stock with rounded fore end and palm swell. The name "Finnbear" was not stamped on this rifle, but all long-action Sakos for many years were referred to with the original name of "Finnbear".

Your rifle has been modified with a custom recoil pad and muzzle brake.

Hartsquare likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
  4. bjorn240

bjorn240 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Finnbear was the marketing name for any of the long-action L61R rifles, and was informally extended to cover the evolutionary AIII, AIV, and AV rifles.

The serial number of your rifle puts it in the 1980s somewhere.

The stock is the deluxe model, as can be seen by the contrasting fore-end, the checkering, the butt cap, and the engraving on the bottom plate and trigger guard.

So yes, colloquially, a Finnbear Deluxe. More precisely an AV in a Deluxe stock.

5. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    And as far as the glass is concerned.... quality glass plus quality rifle = quality rig. Someone spent some money putting this one together.

6. sakolou

sakolou Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Very nice! What does she weigh?

7. RC20

RC20 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Really nice. I didn't think I could fall in love with an AV. I was wrong!