Sako AV LH 30-06.

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Teppas, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Teppas

Teppas Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    Hello.
    I was to the gunstore today and had a short look on a Sako AV (A5) Left hand version. (That was the only thing they told me about the model)
    I have looked a lot on internet and this forum but i can not find out what the model of that rifle is, L61R, L691 or if there is a model called only AV? It also have the, i think is called covered bolt shroud, if ihat is for any any help for some of you experts out there and maybe some one could tell me anything about differenses on theese rifle models so i can find out what the model is? I did not take the serial number on the rifle but in a few days i can get it and maybe that will help me with my problem?
    On the Sako manufacturers site there is a list but there is all rifle models called L61R

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The AV is a L61R action with the bolt shroud & a slightly longer rear tang. It succeeded the AIII which had just the bolt shroud modification. Sako internally referred to them all as L61R actions in their production records. The AIII stamping started around 1978. The AV about 1982. They are all L61R actions, but the AIII & AV stamped ones denote the modifications I mentioned.

3. Teppas

Teppas Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    Okay, thank you for fast answer! Just to be clear that i understand you right, Is the L691 also a version of L61R with AV stamp?

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No, the L691 is a slightly different action. The primary difference is that the recoil lug (which is bedded into the stock to keep the metal and the wood in firm contact) is an integral part on the L61R/A-III/A-V while it is a separate part bolted onto the underside of the L691 action. The trigger may also be different from the earlier actions. There is nothing wrong with the L691, it is just that the factory made some modifications to make it a little less expensive to build.

5. Teppas

Teppas Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    other
    Ok, thank you for information. Now i think i will be able to work out the model of the rifle when i go back to gundealer and talk about price. It is not so easy to get a left handed version of sakos so i think i take the opportunity to buy it if ihe price is right for me. I have only read good things about sako rifles so i am sure it is a good buy if price is right.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018