Sako Anniversary

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Cary Welch, May 17, 2019 at 4:22 AM.

1. Cary Welch

Cary Welch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Hi, what does a Sako Anniversary model, no box, unfired by owner value? Does serial number 1 add to value? Thank you in advance for any info.

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Unfired" (there's no such thing because all have been fired before leaving the factory) Anniversary models vary rather widely in price. I've seen them as low as $1,500 and as high as the upper two-thousands. There were 1,000 of them made, so they are not all that scarce, but they are quite attractive rifles. Having the box probably adds more to this model than to others, but there isn't much penalty for lack of box if the rifle is in truly pristine condition.

Like other Sakos, they weren't numbered serially, so No. 1 wasn't necessarily the first made. However, it is pretty unique to own a rifle with such a serial number, so I would think that someone would be willing to pay something extra for it.

More important than the number, however, is the appeal of the wood. Most had wood that varied from "nice" to "outstanding", but that is in the eye of the beholder and the price the wood commands varies with who is looking at it.

3. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Wood is like a woman, you might like her, but me, not so much.

4. pow

pow Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Cary
    I just saw the photos of the subject gun.
    And you can rest assured serial number 1 will make this gun more valuable to the real collector.

The statement made that rifles are not manufactured in numerical order maybe correct. However as a former factory employee here in the states. Serial numbers always start with # 1.
    When a part is stamped with a serial number that part has passed certain inspection requirements.
    If you do not have possession of the subject I suggest you take action to do so.
    The idea that no extra value is added to a gun with the lowest serial number is totally false.

I would have bet a thousand dollars that serial #1 would be in the possession of the CEO of Sako, before you posted the photos.
    I know you have come across a collectors dream.