Sako AI .222 what mounts for VX3 4.5-14x40AO

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Dusty, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    G'day Everyone, my first post and my apologies if it is viewed to be in the wrong spot.

I have a AI in .222 with lite-weight barrel and wish to mount a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40AO scope. The question is, if I choose the path of using a Leupold ringmount #54409 will it provide sufficient clearance for barrel and bolt handle?
    If I choose the Optilock path using the Sako ringmount 1" Lo S1701900, will that fit/suit my rifle/scope?

I am very interested in hearing from those who have personally had to deal with this issue themselves.

Thank you.
    Cheers,
    Dusty

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Dusty

Welcome to the forum. I can't for sure help you but the leupold lows definitely won't fit that scope. I have the lows on a VX3 2.5-8 on a L461 and it only just fits.
    If they are the "medium" leupold rings I think they would go close. No idea on the opti locks.

Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with a definite answer that has that setup.

Cheers John

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The height of the ringmounts for Leupold & most others (don't know about the Sakos) is listed in some of the catalogs & is printed on the package as .8xx", .9xx" or 1.1x" & varies from maker to maker. If they are in a store, they will usually let you measure them or try them out. The distance is usually from top of dovetail to center of scope. Assuming you have the scope in hand, cut some small blocks of wood equal to the distance from top of dovetail to BOTTOM of ring (distance given minus 1/2"). Set the scope & blocks on the dovetails & see what height gives you the barrel & bolt handle clearance you need. Takes the guess work out of it. I developed quite a ring collection before I figured this out as rings, once used or mounted, are a nonreturnable item in my area

4. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You will need to use Leupold Highs and if you go with the Opti-locs, you will need mediums. This will give you some wiggle room to move the scope to adjust for eye relief but still keep it close to the barrel.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G'day Dusty, did you check out the chart on the Sako website ?
    It should point you in the right direction. I can't help you on the Leupolds.

6. Dusty

Dusty Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks for the feedback. I do not find the info on the Leupold and Sako websites all that helpfull. It may be fine for comparing one mount spec against another but it is rather meaningless if you are starting from scratch.
    I have taken a punt and ordered a set of Leupold medium height matte rings LEU54409 with the scope. The sale ends this weekend so had to make a decision.
    Time will soon tell if it was the right one!

This situation is surely a common one. Has any consideration been given to developing over time a table for each Sako action and the spacing specs (considering both barrel and bolt handle requirements) for mount/scope combinations?

As paulsonconstruction pointed out, you can build up a collection in trying to get the right ones.

Cheers,

7. mattyj

mattyj Member

IMG_0716.JPG Hey Dusty , Im probably too late with this post but I used Leupold medium sako rings see below for a VXIII 3.5 - 10 X40 on my L461 and the fit was nice .... [FONT=&quot]LEU49945[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Leupold Sako 1" Rings, Medium, Gloss
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

8. webfoot56

webfoot56 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    rings

if you use the optilock rings and bases with the scope you mentioned the low bases will work. I know it may not sound right but I have optilock low bases and rings and there is plenty of room with a 40mm bell. I have this setup on a sako 75 with a bushnell elite 4200 scope in 6-24x40.

9. deerhunter

deerhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I have leupold mediums on my L461 vixen with a 42mm obj and it works on both ends. T1 -Sako L461 222_resize.jpg

10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    To add a bit of confusion to this matter, Leupold changed the ring height of their "medium" ringmounts for Sakos. I can't remember at the moment if they raised it or lowered it, but the difference is something like .075" between the early ones and the late ones if I remember correctly.

At any rate, I've never had a problem using Leupold "mediums" with any non-AO 40mm objective scope on a sporter barrel. An AO 40mm scope won't usually fit on a heavy barrel with the "mediums", while a non AO 40mm usually just squeezes by on an HB.

You can mount a huge scope on even the lowest of Sako Optilocks.