Short Actions Sako A1 Deluxe VS. L461 Vixen Manlicher

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Tracy Redpath, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I own an A1 Deluxe in .222 that i bought last year. And i saw a Vixen Manlicher stocked .222 Mag today. Question is I really want that Vixen but i would have to do some trading to get it because $$$. Is the .222 Mag an accurate round as the triple duece. I figure you enablers will say buy it you need them both.

deergoose likes this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    One of the short comings of the mag is the brass availability. Can be hard to find and expensive when found. Not quite as accurate but for all to say very close. The 223 all but killed the mag.

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The .222 Magnum is a very accurate cartridge in a good rifle. In an older rifle like a Vixen Mannlicher, accuracy may depend on whether the stock has warped over time through drying out. Sometimes you have to refit an older wooden stock to eliminate unwanted pressure on the barrel. That said, for me it's worth the trouble. I have three Sakos in .222 Mag and they all shoot very well, although one of them is fussy about ammo.

Factory loaded ammo is available for the .222 Magnum. Nosler makes it, as do a number of small, semi-custom ammo makers that you can find on the Internet. Graf's and Midway usually have some .222 Mag ammo in stock. The Nosler is superb, but a bit pricey. Ignore the Remington except for plinking. Brass isn't found on every street corner, but it's not hard to find if you know where to look.

A Vixen carbine in .222 Magnum would be an extremely cool thing to have and shoot - at a right price. In your other post, you say it's at a LGS for $2000. IMHO that's way high. See my reply to that post.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Rogan Kinnear and FLT like this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "You need them both" -- an enabler.

I love the .222 Magnum, as well as the .222. Nosler recently had (and may still have) their .222 Magnum brass on sale very reasonable. Unlike Icebear, I've had no difficulties with Remington brass, for that matter, but it is only made very occasionally and is hard to find.

The .222 Magnum can be very accurate as evidenced by its popularity on the benchrest circuit back in the late '50's and into the early 70's. I doubt there's any real difference between the inherent accuracy of it and its smaller parent. It has about 5% more case capacity than the popular .223, so loaded to the same pressures it will generate very slightly higher velocities. (However, its arbitrarily assigned SAAMI pressure limit is lower than the .223, so loading manual data won't reflect this.) Put another way, velocities identical to the .223 can be achieve at lower pressures.

5. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Here are "both" but plumed in different feathers. Nosler also offers very accurate .222 mag "pre-loaded" brass.

IMG_0638.jpeg

6. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
  7. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    a couple of my .222Mags......L461 sporter in as New condition and a late L46 sporter.....

DeerGoose
    IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

northernlights and Tracy Redpath like this.
  8. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    ......and continuing to hi-jack your thread, Tracy !!! (hope you guys don't mind)......here's my L461 .222Mag full stock....nice honey colored wood !

BTW, buy both rifles!

DeerGoose
    IMG_1825.JPG IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1850.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Tracy Redpath and icebear like this.
  9. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'm envious. When I got my .222 carbine a year or two ago, the same seller had another one in .222 Magnum, which went for a couple of hundred less than I paid for the .222 (the difference was the wood, I think). I should have bought it, too, but at the time I had been spending a lot on guns and thought I should exercise a bit of moderation. Well, in the words of Robert Heinlein, moderation is for monks. I should have bought it.

I do, however have this gem, which I picked up at a show in Richmond, Virginia in the late 90's. It's an L469 with detachable magazine in the Mannlicher carbine configuration. It is extremely accurate - I managed to find a half box of very old Sako brand ammo to test fire it and got groups around half an inch. Scope is a 4-12x Leupold.

The gun has the newer style Sako stock with the raised Monte Carlo, as does every L469 .222 Mag I have ever seen. It appears that Sako brought out the stretch action after the change in stock design. That's unfortunate; I much prefer the earlier, classic-style design with the straight comb and more conservative cheekpiece. However, that's a minor thing compared to the pleasure of owning this great-shooting rarity. I wonder what it's worth these days?

L469-222 Mag 1.JPG L469-222 Mag 3.JPG L469-222 Mag 4.JPG

deergoose and Tracy Redpath like this.
  10. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    As rare as the Mannlichers are in carbine version, the Mannlicher rifle in 222 mag is the Grail. I got this one although I already had 3 other 222 mags, You will also look a long time to find a 223 in a Mannlicher. There are just some things you don't pass up...

thumbnail_IMG_0281.jpg