1. Edwin Pugh

Edwin Pugh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hello from the Adirondacks. Do not want to be associated with NYC just like all of us in the real update NY Just bought a Sako A "V" carbine in 6.5 x 55. Beautiful wood with oil finish. If anyone has a copy of a vintage brochure or manual I would really appreciate a copy.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    For a brochure check ebay, they have repros on there at times. For the manual, should be able to get a PDF off of the Sako site.

3. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hello Edwin and welcome.
    I too am from New York, not the city, between Rochester and Buffalo.
    I have hunted in the Cranberry Lake / Five Ponds Wilderness area of the Adirondacks for over 30 years.
    This group is populated by some extremely knowledgable, helpful, and civil gentlemen.
    Your 6.5x55 is a caliber I have always thought of as "just right" for whitetail.
    Nice find!
    The 7600 in this picture was a gift from my Adirondack hunting buddy.
    I was told that is how things are often done up there. 2018111895085900.jpg

deergoose likes this.
  4. Edwin Pugh

Edwin Pugh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I don't know how long I will be in NY Getting harder to stomach the politics

deergoose likes this.
  5. harleyhutch

harleyhutch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Hello to Edwin and UncleKax. Another newbie here and to Sako's (L46 Manblicher) but not hunting and firearms. I'm just outside the ADK Park near Johnstown hunt Hamilton County and bought a foreclosure in Arietta for a camp and travel back and forth to Buffalo to see my daughter and grand kids.
    A little off topic, I see your 7600, I have one of them in 35 Whelen, still haven't fired/hunted with it as I hunt with mostly old lever guns.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I understand that the Remington 760 (and 7600) pump has a kind of cult following among Northeastern woods hunters. And the earlier Model 14 and 141 Remington pumps were also popular in that area. You don't see many of them down here, but you do run across an occasional 740/742/7400 semi-auto here in Texas. I came across a rare 7400 in .308 with a RH cheekpiece that I bought and gave to my left-handed son as a specialized hog-hunter with its aftermarket 8-round magazine.

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  7. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    My dad lives in Pennsylvania and has hunted with a 30-06 in a 760 for decades. I have tried to get him interested in bolt guns. He tried them once or twice, and said he couldn't hit a deer with one, and went back to his 760.

8. Trapper56

Trapper56 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    That would be from the exploits of a hunting family in Vermont known as the “Benoit’s”. They consistently take 200lbs+ whitetail bucks in some of the least densely populated “deer per square mile” woods in the country... and, their favorite rifle for years and years has been the Remington 760 pump rifle with a carbine length 18 1/2” barrel... Look up “Larry Benoit” and you’ll see what they are all about...

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Just speculating here, but the 760 fans might just be all-around hunters who shoot birds with an 870 pump and like having a similar feel in their rifle and shotgun.